Housing Benefit Slow at processing change of circumstances and rent arrears — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit Slow at processing change of circumstances and rent arrears

Options
Moonlady
Moonlady Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
Is there a legal timescale that HB have to sort out and act on information via change of circumstances at all ?

I changed over from my partner having IS to myself having IR ESA and CB ESA

I am at the point of owing 7 weeks rent at London prices 

I have phoned HB again today and they have escalated and marked it urgent, basically like LAST week (same was said ) but nothing is getting processed and in payment

I have explained that at 8 weeks they can serve a section 8 but nothing is getting done

I can not think of anything else I can do speed the process up. Our local council is not the best to say the least

Thanks

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Moonlady so sorry to hear that they're kicking their heels over this, I understand the frustration! 
    I'm afraid HB isn't my area of expertise, but hopefully someone will see this soon and be able to offer some top advice. 
     Though, have you tried writing to your local MP?  They can sometimes speed things up for you. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Moonlady
    Moonlady Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Moonlady so sorry to hear that they're kicking their heels over this, I understand the frustration! 
    I'm afraid HB isn't my area of expertise, but hopefully someone will see this soon and be able to offer some top advice. 
     Though, have you tried writing to your local MP?  They can sometimes speed things up for you. 
    Many thanks for your reply

It is so frustrating, I do not really want to contact my landlord at this stage as we are probably due a section 13 rent increase and I do not want it sooner than I can hold off for
    I think I will have to source at least one weeks at 300 pounds (London prices) and then bite the bullet and explain

I may do that about the MP, I will google who it is. I think I will draft a letter over the weekend and send it after Tuesday and Wednesday

Thanks for the advice
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    No problem @Moonlady I totally understand not wanting to speak to the landlord, just in case! Best of luck with your MP. Will you stop in and let us know how you get on? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.