UC Migration questions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Migration questions

Options
Pat2024
Pat2024 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi. I am a new member. I received the universal credit migration letter because my husband and I we received working tax credit. 
I have cancer plus another illness. Also I suffer with anxiety and depression .I receive PIP standard daily living and enhanced mobility . I am in ESA based contribution support group from 2014 and I don't need to go for reassessment again as far as I know. They did not do it from 2016.
I read in many webs that I should receive the LCWRA straight away. Also my husband care more than 35 hours per week and I read that he can get the care element. (Separately) I mean I can get the LCWRA amount and he can get the care element for look after me ( is different when only one of us want to get both at the same time, the rule said that it will be the maximum amount of one payment)

Also I read that the MIF does not apply for my husband or for people who look after a dissable people or a person who received any disability benefit ( as PIP) and there is not benefit cap for any of us.

My question is: How will I receive My ESA payment?. I will get it as normal every two weeks separately from out UC payment or it will be included in our Universal payment?. I am confused because I read that it will be deducted from UC payments. What does it means?.
Also I am confused about the work allowance. As a couple is 631 pounds but I read about something that is 578 pounds per couple called allowance as well. It confused me a lot. When I work out my husband income that is 35 hours per week at 10.42 per hour multiplied for 52 divided in 12 months. This amount is 1580 pounds. Do I have to deduct 630 pounds and add 390 for LCWRA and 185 pounds for Care element? Minus 520 of my ESA?. Can you help me please to calculate my Universal credit based in these amounts? Without other deductions?. 
I will appreciate your help.
Thank you.
Patty

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pat2024 said:
    Hi. I am a new member. I received the universal credit migration letter because my husband and I we received working tax credit. 
    I have cancer plus another illness. Also I suffer with anxiety and depression .I receive PIP standard daily living and enhanced mobility . I am in ESA based contribution support group from 2014 and I don't need to go for reassessment again as far as I know. They did not do it from 2016.
    I read in many webs that I should receive the LCWRA straight away. 
    That is all correct. 

Pat2024 said:
     Also my husband care more than 35 hours per week and I read that he can get the care element. (Separately) I mean I can get the LCWRA amount and he can get the care element for look after me ( is different when only one of us want to get both at the same time, the rule said that it will be the maximum amount of one payment)

Yes, you will receive the LCWRA element and your partner will receive the carers element. They will need to make sure they report being your care when you claim. 

Pat2024 said:

Also I read that the MIF does not apply for my husband or for people who look after a dissable people or a person who received any disability benefit ( as PIP) and there is not benefit cap for any of us.

The MIF is only for those that are self employed, is your partner self employed?

Pat2024 said:

My question is: How will I receive My ESA payment?. I will get it as normal every two weeks separately from out UC payment or it will be included in our Universal payment?. I am confused because I read that it will be deducted from UC payments. What does it means?.

Your ESA will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The amount they deduct will be £561.16/month. This is because ESA is a weekly benefit and UC is paid monthly. To work out the monthly amount you times the weekly amount by 52 and then divide by 12. 

Pat2024 said:

Also I am confused about the work allowance. As a couple is 631 pounds but I read about something that is 578 pounds per couple called allowance as well. It confused me a lot. When I work out my husband income that is 35 hours per week at 10.42 per hour multiplied for 52 divided in 12 months. This amount is 1580 pounds. Do I have to deduct 630 pounds and add 390 for LCWRA and 185 pounds for Care element? Minus 520 of my ESA?.
    Patty
    The work allowance means you can receive that amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance is £379/month, if you don't then it will be £631/month. Your UC entitlement will be based on earnings received each month. If earnings increase your UC will decrease, if they decrease your UC will increase. 

The work allowance is deducted from earnings and then the remainder of what's left will then reduce your UC by 55p for every £1 over the work allowance. For example, if earnings received are £1,500/month and you have the lower work allowance of £379/month the amount deducted from your UC is £615.55/month. (£1,500 - £379 = £1,121 x 0.55 = £615.55)

The £578 you mentioned is the standard couples allowance. LCWRA is £390.06/month.. carers element £185.86.

Pat2024 said:
    Can you help me please to calculate my Universal credit based in these amounts? Without other deductions?. 

I can't tell you exactly what your entitlement will be because if your UC entitlement is lower than what your Tax credits entitlement is then you'll be entitled to Transitional Protection and I have no idea what the figures are for your Tax credits. 

Finally, to add, when you do claim UC you will both need to start a claim. One of you will then receive a linking code you must use this code to join both claims together. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,054 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Pat2024, I can see Poppy has given a very detailed response to all of your questions so I just wanted to wish you well and welcome you to the community. 
    If you do have any more questions or there is anything you're not sure of, please don't hesitate to ask. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Pat2024
    Options
    Thank you Poppy and Adrian. I went to verified my identity and they said I would need to go for a health assessment. I explain that I am in ESA based contribution support group and I receive PIP because I have a long term illness ( blood cancer CML) , lumbar and dorsal arthritis, scoliosis, arthrophia in a disc , depression, anxiety and I suffer with panic attacks. They said that they will see. I don't understand. What I read is that people on support group receive straight away the LCWRA element. I'm ESA I don't have to go for assesment anymore and I had recently the review assessment by phone with PIP and I got estándar daily living and enhanced mobility. Do I have to go for assesment again?. Also I read that if I get LCWRA element my husband can get the care element. Is this true.
    About the MIF ( minimum income floor) I read that this not apply if in a couple one care for the other person with disability ( that is my case). Is this mean that my husband can earn more without discount the 0.55 per 1 pound extra?. Are they also counting my ESA as MIF together with my husband MIF in the calculation or only my husband amount?. I really appreciate your help . 
  • Pat2024
    Options
    Thank you Poppy for your previous answers . I have just read them. Yes. My husband is a gainfully self employed the last 30 years.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will not need another work capability assessment. Put a message onto your journal and tell them that you are claiming ESA and you’re in the Support Group. It often takes quite a few weeks for ESA to send your details across to UC.

Has your husband told them that he’s self employed? He will need to attend a gateway appointment with a work coach because he’s self employed. At that appointment he will need to give them details about his self employed work. 

Your ESA payments will continue as normal but be deducted in full from your UC. It is not treated ad earnings. 

You are correct that because he cares for you then the MIF will not apply to him. He will still need to report his earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period. 

The work allowance means you or your partner can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance is £379/month, if you don't then it will be £631/month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pat2024
    Options
    Thank you Poppy.!!! 🙂 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.