Surgery Vs Injectable — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Surgery Vs Injectable

miguel
miguel Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2014 in Cerebral palsy
I was wondering what would be better surgery or injectable? I am looking to see if there is a surgery to help me with my existing condition. I have had surgery to length my tendon two years ago and came out okay but my knees are always bent and i moved from side to side when i walk! my bending of the knees is due to muscle tightness. I have with me an article that talks about injectable but it only last 3 to 6 months if you use alcohol and phenol. Botox last for about 4 to 8 months. the surgery would be permanent.has anyone done ether or?

Comments

• Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous

Hi Miguel,

I had my achilles tendons lengthend 42 years ago, at the age of 6, and until recently I have had no problems. However, the back of my left leg has become very tight and is pulling my toes over. I was offered bunion surgery, by one surgeon, toes removed by another, but I declined as I was concerend that my mobility would be worse than it is now.   My GP has referred me to a physio, who had a lot of patience and has gone through everything with me, and actually agreed with me that surgery was probably not my best option. She has, however, suggested I consider Botox, as she said this will last approx 3 months. If  it works, then great, if it dosent, then nothing lost as after the 3 months I will just be back as I am now.  I am thinking about it, dont fancy the idea of injections, but I am considering it.

Has anyone on here any experience they can share with Miguel and I?

Thanks,  Karen

• Hannah0305
    Hannah0305 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hey Migeul

I've had a bit of both, i  had the tendons done too when i was about 11, but i have also had the muscles from the top of my knee moved to the back of my knee there for givin me more muscle in older to straighten my knees back when i was about 14. Although it was painful Id say it was worth it as my legs (on a good day lol ) are a lot straighter and it is a lot easier to walk now. I also have what i like to call a little bit of maintainance which comes in the form of botox injections every so often and i  think that they really do help too just to keep the muscles nice and loose as well as the physio of course.

i no this probably  doesnt help with your descision just thought id let you know my experiences

• leg_iron
    leg_iron Community member Posts: 20 Listener

I've had tendon, bone and muscle surgery in both of my feet and i have also had Botox injected into my left leg.  The botox didnt have any effect on the muscles that it was injected into.  I am due to see my consultant in July when i have to decide wether to have more tendon transfer and muscle release surgery.

• JDWilson
    JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
    My daughter has CP diaplegia both legs She has had Botox Sometimes the results were good other times we couldn't tell. It could be worth a go If its to help with tight tendons it could be worth asking about having a cast put on for approx 2wks after injection this is what Sam had and her heels touched the floor afterwards for the first time in her life. Good Luck with whatever you decide.They can put anesthetic on injection sites to numb But Its not such a big needle and it doesn't take long at least you can understand why you are having it done Sam started having injections at the age of 3yrs to 11yrs now thay say can do no more and are looking into surgery.
  • JDWilson
    JDWilson Community member Posts: 90 Listener
    Hi Hannah it may not help them but it has given me a little reasurance My daughter Sam is 11yrs old and Surgeons looking into some Big ops. thanks for writting. Julie.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.