car safety seats — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

car safety seats

taylorae1
taylorae1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, wonder if anybody can help my twin grandsons age 6, both suffer from CP due to being born at 24 weeks. Both boys are I would say equivalent to about age 3 in size, unable to hold their heads up etc, but are needing new car seats. Local social work don't seem to come up with much help at and the boys are due to go in to hospital to have feeding tubes put in. They will have to travel by car from hospital which is about an hours journey and feel that they need bigger car seats than they have at the moment, but obviously would need plenty of support. Can anybody recommend and particular type of seat that they may have used themself. Any advise would be great

Comments

• Lucyjcm
    Lucyjcm Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2015
    Hello Taylore1,

I hope you dont mind me responding to your post, I work for a company call JCM Seating Solutions and we have three car seats that may be suitable for your grandsons. They range in size and price and we offer a free assessment and demonstration service. If you would like to see some more information you can follow this link http://www.jcmseating.co.uk/ and you will find the car seats approx two thirds of the way down the page under Travel. Alternitavely you can contact us for more information on 01733 405830.
  • harrysmum
    harrysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, We had exactly the same problem with our son, Harry. He is five now and was too big for standard car seats but needed alot of support to sit. Our OT recommended a seat made by reccaro. It swivles outwards to put him in and then returns to face forwards once he is safely strapped in. He is really comfortable in it and it is much easier for me to put him in the car. It is very expensive but our OT helped us to apply for funding through a charity who were really helpful. Hope this helps and you manage to find something suitable for your boys. Cheers kate.
  • trickyd
    trickyd Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi just wanted to say that my little girl is three and when she outgrew her infant seat the OT got in touch with a company called windmill , they found us a new seat and funding to pay for it as it was a lot more expensive than what we would have paid for from a store, hope you get sorted soon no how hard it is to find good equipment. xx
  • bunnynik
    bunnynik Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi there. My boy has severe dystonic quadraplegia and is 2 year and 3 months. He has been in a car seat supplied by JCM. It is a recaro and has lots of velcro supports which you can add to suit the childs needs. It has made quite a difference to his journeys and certainly doesnt get as uptight. It does take a while to do everything up however so you need to make sure you leave a few minutes earlier to get the child seated.

Hope this helps.

Nik

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.