bike trailers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

bike trailers

harrysmum
harrysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, our 5 year old son,Harry has athetoid CP and is unable to sit unsupported and is not able to support his head. He loves to go out cycling and until now we have managed with a standard bike seat. He has finally outgrown that, and we have been looking for a bike trailer which is designed for children who need a bit more support. We have scoured the web and we found a company called WIKE in canada which make a brilliant trailer but by the time we have added all the supports he needs and shipped it over it will come to about $1300! Has anyone come across any solutions to this in the UK which won't break the bank!

Thanks Kate

Comments

• Eviesmummy
    Eviesmummy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, my daughter is 2 and has quad CP.

She also cannot sit up by herself. I'm not sure if your son is the same but with Evie something in between her legs is really important as she slides down and doesn't look very comfortable at all.

We went to Halfords and bought a Trailer yesterday and I have to say it does the job very well of giving her enough support to sit up by herself. It has a 5 point safety harness which comes over the tops of her arms and fasten in between her legs - as the straps can be made rather tight and the bit that sits in between her legs it keeps her up really well.

Not too sure about the head support though - as it does not come with one - not sure if you could find something that would attach to it and do the job?

Maybe go into Halfords and see if they have one out on display and see what you think?

Karissa xx
  • Eviesmummy
    Eviesmummy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Also, I am not sure where abouts you live but there is a bike hire place in Cardiff called pedal power and they have a physio there that assesses you to try and find a bike etc that would be suitible.

They do all sorts of bikes for children with special needs so maybe look them up on google aswell - we have an appointment there for Evie to be assessed on Monday.

x
    Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
    Hi Kate

My son has both a tricycle and a piggyback from Mission Cycles - http://www.missioncycles.co.uk/
    They are available with seating supports and special pedals to keep feet in place.

Good Luck,
    Sarah

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.