Hydrocephalus — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hydrocephalus

Options
Amber
Amber Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello there
As a result of CP i also have epilepsy and hydrocephalus (a build up of fluid on the brain) This causes an extra large head

I am unable to wear any kind of hat. I have a rain coat for rainey weather but the hood wont fit my head so end up getting wet!
I get terrible headaches (common with Hydrocephalus). In the summer i would benefit from a hat because the headaches are worse at this time (due to sun)

Any ideas?
I would really appreciate your help

Thanks
Amber

Comments

• Katherine Hayward
    Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
    Options
    Hi Amber,
    just seen your posting. I have cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus too. I have had this problem with hats as well. I used to go horse riding and I found the hat was tight on my forehead and sides of my head (where my shunts are: I have one that works and one that doesn't) and sun hats as well like you say.
    Do you have a shunt? I also find that due to my shunt operations, my sensitivity on my head is such that I find it hurts when people dry or comb my hair , and if hats are too tight, I don't realise until someone points out my forehead is red when the hat has been taken off (due to the pressure of it rubbing) . Out of the hats I've tried, I find wide brimmed sun hats and also baseball caps ok as they feel comfy for me and protect me. Baseball caps are obviously adjustable too. For years I had the same problem as you with the sun and headaches. I have to watch how much water I drink and keep hydrated otherwise I feel really headachey. Another situation where weather gives me headaches is on very cloudy and humid days.
    I hope you find a hat
    Katherine
  • Bungle
    Bungle Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi amber. My names Chris. I also sympathise with you as I was born with hydrocephalus and epilepsy. I can't believe I've finally found someone I can relate to. I don't have cp but I used to suffer real bad with my epilepsy. I'd love to meet people and make friends with people with my condition. Please feel free to message me anytime

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.