eating out - seating, help pls — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

eating out - seating, help pls

NickiPalmer
NickiPalmer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2014 in Children, parents, and families
Hi, my son is nearly 3 and has cp. He is almost too big for highchair's, we can just about squeeze him into the wooden ones in restaurants now! Has anyone any ideas what we can use instead? We have a booster seat but as there is nowhere for him to put his feet to help his balance he stiffens and then falls to the side. This makes feeding impossible and we end up having him on our laps. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you Nicki

Comments

• renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    'Hi
    Fledglings.org.uk have some seating options which may help out and about.

Good Luck
    Kate
  • NickiPalmer
    NickiPalmer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for that, I have had a look at Fledglings and we are going to give one of their options a go. Thank you, Nicki :-)
  • PennyB
    PennyB Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I've had a similar problem with my son now 4.5 years. We either try to sit either side of him or find a corner seat where we can wedge him in. I would like to see a Pushchair manufacturer come up with a design for disabled children which also incorporates an attatchment for eating out. Much easier all round and less stressful for him. I'm sure between all of us WE could design something suitable. My other problem is having the food and drinks go everywhere when we least expect it. Thinking caps everybody.
  • ClaudiaCockburn
    ClaudiaCockburn Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    have you got a special needs buggy? we've just got one from our OT. the straps on it are very supportive and my daughter sits very upright in it so i've been using it for her to eat in when we go out. seems to be the best option now high chairs are too small.
    Claudi
  • ClaudiaCockburn
    ClaudiaCockburn Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    oops, i should've said, my buggy's an Alvema Ito.
    Claudi
  • ambreenz
    ambreenz Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    i dont know if your still looking for something? we had same problem for our boy he would scream the place down in the high chairs as hes legs would get stuck ...we went to mothercare and toys r us at babie section do them , they are travel seats , it looks like a small laptop bag and when you open it it opens out as a padded seat to attatch to a normal chair 2 straps at bottome and one round the top of chair then you strap them in ..its been a lifesaver ..........:) only 19 pound as well
  • twinmom
    twinmom Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi Ambreenz,
    That seat sounds ideal. Can I ask you what is the brand thats on the chair, as in what company makes it. I was looking online and there's a few, but I'd like to get the one that you have for my 2 yr old son.
    Many thanks
  • ambreenz
    ambreenz Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hello

the seat was from mothercare hun called baby polar gear on the go booster seat

its fab works wonders

i have a link and good news its on special offer at
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    We've just bought the Wenzelite 'Seat 2 Go' from Joncare (
  • twinmom
    twinmom Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi,
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Although the mothercare one does look good, I dont think it would give Eoin enough support around his trunk, as he tends to flop over. The wenzelite one looks ideal for him. We're in Ireland so I hope they'll deliver to here
    Take care
    Una x
  • optimistic
    optimistic Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi Maria, have just looked at wenzelite seat on line and it looks great. Can you tell me if it folds up? Thanks
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Hiya

No it doesn't so its quite bulky - it only weighs 7lbs (the medium sized one) so I just balance it on top of the pushchair when I'm out and about.It's also a floor chair so if your little one doesnt sit unaided you can use it as a floor sitter. Tom likes it better than a bumbo. The only negatives are that it's not made of washable fabric so not easy to keep clean and that the clips are a bit flimsy so don't let anyone stand on the plastic bits as they will crack. We got ours from Joncare. They might have a rep that can bring you one to try before you buy.

Maria x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.