People Staring - How do you cope? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

People Staring - How do you cope?

jenster22
jenster22 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
How do you deal with people looking at you when you are in public with your child?

Recently my son, who has visual imparement and is in a wheelchair was having an 'unhappy episode' and i knew that all he wanted was to get out of the chir and for me to carry him but he is getting too heavy to do that and it wasnt an ideal situation for me to do it, (cramped shop, other kids with me etc etc)
He can not talk so just screams and grunts, and the looks i was getting from people was driving me crazy.
I tried to use a 'loud' whisper (stage whisper if you will) Its ok Joe, Mummys here, dont worry, calm down, but he just wouldnt calm down because he obviously wanted to be picked up.

Do you have any words of wisdom for stupid people who stare and make you feel 100 times worse than you do already?!

Thanks xx

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited July 2016
    Hi Jenster22,

I asked your question on our twitter page and got a couple of short responses:

LucyTweeting replied: "Sometimes I roll my eyes which nicely makes the point."
    rosiescupcakery replied: "I stare them right back, straight in the eye. But worse is parents 'shushing' their kids when they ask an 'uncomfortable' Q. Grrr..."

Hopefully some other people will have some thoughts too!

Alex
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    And a few more responses from facebook (http://www.facebook.com/scope): Teddy Francis said "My response would be something like " I'm so glad you are going to offer to help ! Isn't awful that there are so many critics and so few 'doers' ?". Gerry Hall said "What are they truly looking at? We teach our child to notice different and we segregate anything we class as not normal simply understanding that some people are just interested due to a lack of education may help understand why people are staring." Hayley Louise Nash said "interested is fine, in fact is good, but sometimes you can tell when the staring goes beyond interest. Definately education would play a great part in ensuring people understand disability further."

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.