I am hard of hearing and have cerebral palsy. I need bags to store hearing aids — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am hard of hearing and have cerebral palsy. I need bags to store hearing aids

concorde8
concorde8 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hiya, I'm hard of hearing and have cerebral palsy, best described as a wobbly jellyfish! I have lost my hearing aids countless times due to placing them in my pockets or my bag and then they fall out. It doesn't help that I have big hands and my fine motor control, i.e. picking up small objects with my fingers, isn't brilliant. I often have to take a hearing aid out to answer my mobile, and whilst I have tried hearing neck loops in the past, the more I have to wear, the more I am likely to get in a tangle with wires etc! My next thought is to find a bumbag or similar which I can wear around my waist...I have done a little research yet all the bags seem to have tiny, fiddly zips, which is not at all practical for my wobbly hands! I would greatly appreciate it if there is anyone out there who can share their wisdom...

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi David, I asked your question on twitter today. One person suggested bumbags which I see you've tried. Another person suggested this little duffel bag on this page: http://www.justears.org/accessories.asp I've also asked RNID if they have any suggestions, and will let you know if they get back to me. Alex
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi David,

A couple more replies. The RNID said "We've got small capsules that are specially treated to dehumidify hearing aids, but not bags http://bit.ly/bZ0XJF" and TwinkleWizz said "Try Kipling bags. They're very lightweight, in all colours inc black and have strong chunky zip tags. Ideal for fine motor problems.".

Hope that's useful, Alex
  • concorde8
    concorde8 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    dear alex,

many thanks for your proactive help! i'm sorry i haven't got back sooner, i only received the email alert today! your help really is appreciated and i look forward to trying out the bags (and posting my feedback!).

best wishes,
    david

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.