Is back pain a symptom of shunt malfunction? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is back pain a symptom of shunt malfunction?

Options
SteveM1970
SteveM1970 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2014 in Disability rights and campaigning
Hi, I had a VP shunt fitted as a baby and this was revised a few times, most recentlt when I was 15, when one of the main symptoms (as I recall) was low back pain. I am now 41 (same shunt for 26 years!) and have a similar back pain.

I am not usually troubled by back pain - especially one as persistent as this (had it a few days). I don't have any other symptoms (maybe a little nauseous from tiem to time recently, come to think of it) but asm wondering whether to get it checked out or not.

Any advice from those with similar experiences would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Katherine Hayward
    Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hi Steve, Saw your post and thought I´d reply.
    I have tetraparesis CP, hydrocephalus with a VP shunt and am partially sighted and a wheelchair user.
    In my case, my problems with shunts all ocurred from birth up to the age of 11, am now 29.
    My troubles with shunts were down to symptoms of vomiting and severe headaches, and I had my shunt changed 4 times due to malfunctions and dislocations, Haven´t had too many problems since I was 11, although do suffer on hot or humid days with headaches, but I tend to drink lots of water and not do too much and take ibuprofen if needed.
    I suffer from backpain but not due to my shunt but my CP. I suggest you get it checked out though as it´s not a listed symptom of shunt malfunction as I know. Do you have any other disabilities? I suffered from visual disturbances too in the past which is sometimes another symptom, but in my case was down to overtiredness due to muscular effort. Also, you nay want to get in rouch with your local ASBAH to see what they advise.
    Katherine
  • SteveM1970
    SteveM1970 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Katherine. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The backache has lessened. No sight distortion but I have had that in the past too. I do not have any other disabilities - I posted here because there was some talk of hydrocephalus and the ASBAH site does not appear to have a forum. So, therefore, thanks once again for getting back to me. I shall continue to monitor my symptoms.
    Steve

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.