Robert Martin - Athens 2011 SO World Summer Games — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Robert Martin - Athens 2011 SO World Summer Games

Options
GaryC
GaryC Scope Member Posts: 1 Courageous
It is my privilege to be able to report that Robert Martin, aged 28 and a Scope volunteer at the Leeds charity shop, The Headrow, Leeds, West Yorkshire, attended as an athlete and a representative of the EE.SO British delegation at the Athens 2011 SO World Summer Games where he participated in the following Aquatics/Swimming events:

50m Freestyle

25m Butterfly

Medley Relay (swimming Backstroke leg)

Robert came 5th in the 50m Freestyle, 4th in the 25m butterfly, missing the bronze medal by 1/10th second.

Robert was able to gain a silver medal for his efforts in Medley Relay (swimming Backstroke leg), a fantastic achievement and improved on his previous times.

We at the Scope Leeds shop feel that for Martin this is a great feat that has brought honour, not just to himself, but to Leeds, West Yorkshire and the UK as a whole.

Robert is a seasoned athlete at the Special Olympics and is no stranger to winning medals at the Special Olympics, as previously Robert's athletic skills gained him four medals, two Bronze, a Sliver and a Gold.

Robert explained how he felt by stating: I felt happy and it was brilliant and a nice place to be

Other Volunteers comments:

Kimberley Mucha stated: I think its really great what Robert has done. I wish I could win medals like him. He's cool!

Adam Cooper stated: Its good news. I'm really happy for him.

Gary Caruthers stated Robert is a unique individual with a great sense of humour and, winning a medal is magical at the Special Olympics is one thing. Seeing him hold his head up with pride today is a whole something else. I'm chuffed to be able to congratulate him personally. His parent must be so proud of his great achievement!

Scope shop manager, Margaret Gourlay stated: Here at Scope we are very proud of the achievement Robert has gained at the Special Olympics. Just being chosen to participate is fantastic, but to gain a silver medal is tremendous, including his overall improvements on past performance times.

Just taking part is a phrase loosely used, but for Robert to undertake this project, training twice weekly and giving up his free time is an accolade to him.

Pictures of Robert can be found on Facebook - Leeds Yorkshire in the photo album section named, Leeds Olympic Champion 2011

http://www.athens2011.org/so-press/NewsFile/448803127.pdf

http://www.facebook.com/Charity.Shop.Network

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.