Food Thickener (Nutilis) & Bowel Movements! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Food Thickener (Nutilis) & Bowel Movements!

Options
LindaSJ
LindaSJ Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I just wondered if anyone else out there is using Nutilis/Nutricia Food & Drink Thickening Powder for their child? And if so, have you noticed an increase or change in bowl movements as a result of this please? Thanks.

Comments

• LindaSJ
    LindaSJ Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi there, thanks for responding.

We've been using Nutilis for around 6-7 years now. No one seems to know conclusively whether or not it affects bowl movements (GP says it "may" do...), although I agree it shouldn't - it is made from maize starch primarily.

However, our incontinence nurse has now raised it as an issue, potentially as the reason for my son needing a greater number of pads each day than usual (and therefore for her being able to justify it), so thought I would see if any other parents had experienced any noticeable differences.

Linda.
  • Samiya79
    Samiya79 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    My son uses Thick and Easy Instant food and drink thickener. It has never affected his bowls movement. In my opinion it shouldn't either because it has no nutritional values. Have you just started using this product? Regards.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.