If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

hello

lozzer25lozzer25 Posts: 89Member Courageous
edited May 2014 in Disabled people
My name is laura smith in november of last year i was diagnosed with cerebral palsy after 25 years, in the past two months i have aquired hearing aids and an orthotic in my shoe, i suffered from spaticity in my leg but was discharged when i was fourteen, when i walk my left turns inwards, upon going the orthotics the lady who saw me said that my left leg is considerably longer than the other which is a common sign in cerebral palsy, the neurologist has discharged me so its a case of oh by the way u have cerebral palsy just get on with it, i dont understand it nobody has given me answers all i have been is fobbed off, the one thing i would like to know is what are the i implications as i get older my little boy is disabled he is stronger than me now what is it going to be like in the future. i have physio and o.t input and they are helping with my posture, certain things that they cannot change. is their a fine line between mild cerebral palsy and dyspraxia, i am sorry to keep going on i cant get my head around it. How has it never been found out before any information would be greatly received Thank you Laura xx Sorry for moaning xx

Replies

• milomilo Posts: 165Member Pioneering
    I know how you feel, I'm 39 and have had splints and walking aids most of my life without a clear diagnosis. About 6 months ago I saw a neurologist after my mobility got worse. He finally confirmed that I have cp. Have to say that it has helped being able to define all my symptoms, just a shame it took so long.
  • TANYAFIELDINGTANYAFIELDING Posts: 24Member Listener
    Although I was diagnosed after a traumatic birth, I was also only treated by a paediatrician as an adult no one wanted to know or keep tabs. I went to a normal school and qualified as a vet. I coped well till about 38. Occasional physio but all to soon they sign you off. I now have an orthotics splint but beware it did pull the ligaments under my heal and I have never had pain like it. I had to self diagnose plantar fascialitis and it has all settled down now. I get tired now and feel I have aged early. I am now 47 work full time but avoid a lot of walking. Botox in my spastic leg is helping.
Sign in or join us to comment.