Motomed Excersiser — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motomed Excersiser

Hymerkar
Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
Has anyone tried the Motomed machine?

Comments

• Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, this thread was posted before I had finished writing it! I must have clicked the wrong thing.

Our local Gym is running an excersise referral scheme, in conjunction with the NHS. They have a Motomed cycle available. For those of you who dont know what I am on about, its an excersise cycle which pedals for you. You can either sit on a chair or stay in your wheelchair.

I have been on it twice. The first time it measured the resistance in my legs at 28, which the physio said is quite high. I had no idea what she meant, but after 20 mins it came down to 12 for the last 10 mins. Apparently that is the 'stiffness' in your legs. The second time I used it, I was more relaxed and it was only 4. After using it for 30 mins it really made a difference to my walking.

I have been walking less and less recently, between back pain and ill fitting footware, things are becoming really difficult and I am going round in circles. I had to rest my feet i.e. use my chair because my feet were sore from ill fitting shoes. Then my back became so weak I couldnt hold myself up, not sitting not walking. I fought back, and was able to walk a little again, and as I was getting stronger, and walking further, my feet got sore again. Back to square one. At the moment, my feet are fine, my back is not too bad, but I have a trapped nerve in my left buttock and the physio thinks it is Periformis syndrome, from sitting too long!!!!!! Every excersise I try to do makes it worse. Rest is the only thing I can do! I can see that next is going to be my back again.

This is why I was recommended to try the Motomed. It pedals for you, so you are not actually using muscles, but the movement helps to relax and keep things moving.

I enquired about buying one, but we are looking at £4,000 so I cannot even consider it.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what you thought of it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.