Age 20 and up - AFO (splints) what ever you call them — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Age 20 and up - AFO (splints) what ever you call them

jsfs1985
jsfs1985 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi

This is my second post

I am 27 years old. I have Cerabral Palsy in my right side, had botox in my right foot till the year 2001 - 2002

I stopped wearing AFO (splints) in about 1999 - 2000 when I was about 14 or 15. I can't remember. I then broke my metatasal bone in my right foot and have had major problems, with a sore foot. I started wearing a splint/AFO just yesterday and my foot has stopped hurting

I would be really interested to find out whether anyone else my age wears AFO/Splints from the age of 20 and above.

I am just interested

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi, I'm 26 and have spastic diaplegia cp.
    I wear an afo on my left leg ( which is my worse side) and have done for a year. I have a DAFO for my right foot - like an afo but smaller, which I've had for 6 months but am really struggling to get on with that.

I stopped wearing afos at 16, then last year I was really struggling generally with tightness and fatigue so along with physio, which I hadn't had since 18 I requestedc a consultation with orthotics. This is probably the best decision i've made, as the afo really helps.

chris
  • jsfs1985
    Thanks for commenting on my post Chris. I don't want to be rude are you a female or a male

It is really nice to hear from another person who wears splints or what ever you call them.

Do you know anyone else who has CP our sort of age on Scope? Do you know where to get nice shoes and do you think you will be wearing splints/AFO's for the rest of your life

In simple terms what does spastic diaplegia mean

What area do you live in. I live in Hornchurch

How do you know scope
  • jsfs1985
    Hi Chris

Would you be willing to reply to my message.
    I hope I am not being rude

Jo
  • niceboots
    Hi, sorry I haven't replied sooner,
    I'm male, I don't know anyone else on here.
    I probably will have to wear splints for the rest of my life, but I find they help so not bothered!! I've worn gaiters since I was tiny as well, so used to splints etc.
    Finding shoes is a bit of a nightmare, I find the easiest shoes are skate boarding type shoes as they are wide and deep. trainers in general seem to fit with splints ok. Smart shoes is a different matter!!! they are so hard to find ones that are wide enough especially in the toe area. I still wear piedro boots if I need to wear smarter/ black shoes.
    hope this helps a bit
    chris
  • jsfs1985
    Hi Chris

I live in Hornchurch. I was just wondering where you lived as it would be good to meet up sometime. Halfway.

Jo
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Its interesting what you are saying about AFO's at your age. I am 50 and just waiting for an appointment with an orthotist about boots and AFO's. My orthotist I have been seeing for the last 20 years has refused to even consider AFO's or any sort of splint but my physio and myself feel I need support now. I am suffering fatigue and with that comes terrible walking posture.

Do you think the AFO's help with posture when you are fatigued?

Karen
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Thanks Chris, if I could get some help with the fatigue that would be fantastic. I am currently struggling with a trapped nerve in my lower back caused by muscle strain and I have been off my feet for almost 6 months so getting back into walking is taking its toll.

I will bear your comments in mind when I eventually get my appt in Dec.

Thanks again

Karen
  • niceboots
    hi karen,
    I find afos really help, particularly when I'm tired, as they correct my walking posture, so I find you get less of those aches and pains after walking. My left afo has a build up on the bottom to even up the difference in my leg length, I find this has really helped with hip and back pain from not standing level.
    I'm just waiting to get my right DAFO sorted as I'm really uncomfortable in it, and think that a solid afo would be better.
    I also wear piedro boots when just wearing my left splint and find they go well with the splints, even though the orthotics service are refusing to order me another pair as I have 2 splints!!!
    chris

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.