baclofen — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

baclofen

Options
niceboots
niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
hi, I'm 26 and have diplegia.
My DR has prescribed me baclofen to help with the increased tightness I have been experiencing recently.
It's not a drug I have ever come across before and was just wondering what sort of experiences people have had with it.
thanks
chris

Comments

• barneypup
    barneypup Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Hi chris, I know lots of people have no side effects with bs Loren but my daughter suffered hallucinations which is listed as a known side effect.. I hope it works for you..
  • Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Nice Boots, I am on Baclofen. I have been taking them on and off for around 5 years now.

My GP prescribed 10mg tablets 3 times daily but I find that if I take 3 I loose muscle tone which makes it hard to stand and almost impossible to walk. I usually take one in the mornings which just relaxes me enough for me to be able to get up and showered and get moving. But recently I have had a trapped nerve in my lower back and my left leg has been really tight. So much so that I couldnt stand the pain and had to take pain killers, which is not me at all. I then took the Baclofen 3 times daily and it has helped to release the trapped nerve but as I said, it makes my muscles so weak I cannot walk. At the moment I am on 2 daily which is relaxing my tightness but allowing me to walk a little. I am on a battle to gain my mobility and trying to build my muscles up again after being off my feet for over 6 months. I tried taking just one, but I was really stiff again. Its very swings and roundabouts for me.

I know that there are other adults with CP on here who cant take them at all and others who say they dont make any difference.

I hope this helps.

Take care

Karen
    ps. I am still waiting for my appt for a cast for AFO's!!!!!!!!!!
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, karen, I have started taking the lower dose, half a tablet three times a day, and find it really makes a difference!!
    I find it just takes the edge off the tightness to be comfortable, without making me so loose than my limbs feel like jelly.
    I have found the most benefits at night, for the first time in years - since I was on diazepam after an operation, I actually relax properly!!
    I also find I can get a much better stretch, and my night splints feel alot more comfortable.
    I must admit I put off taking it after reading all the side effects, and other people's experiences. And that it says avoid alcohol - I work in a pub, so that is the only downside I can fnd.....

I can't believe you are still waiting to be casted!!! let's hope it's worth the wait....
    thanks,
    chris
  • rcwallace22
    rcwallace22 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    I take baclofen three times a day and it helps with my movement etc. I take diazepam for acute muscle spasms usually post operatively. But baclofen helps me keep on top of things. if you are having side effects increase it slowly.

Rachael
  • andrewday
    andrewday Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    You have to take a lot of oral baclofen for it to work properly and the high levels I was on just spaced me out and a few years ago my pain consultant sugested we tried ITB http://www.medtronic.com/patients/severe-spasticity/therapy/index.htm and 10 years on I have never looked back.

Speak to you pain consultant not your GP and ask if this is right for you

Andrew
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    edited July 2014
    Options
    There is more on info on baclofen at http://www.scope.org.uk/itb

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.