Over 40 CP with spastic diplegia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Over 40 CP with spastic diplegia

Options
Jill2013
Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
edited May 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I have just found out I have this condition. I had splints when younger but nobody explained to me that I had this. It also explains why I am having so much problems walking, tightness, tiredness etc. I also have back ache alot, is this part of the condition?
What can I do to help myself or is it best to go back to the doctors? I was last seen by the hospital possibly when I was 15 then all appointments stopped.
How do you all deal with your symptoms

Comments

• chelskipete
    chelskipete Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi

I'm 43 and have slight ataxic CP. Lately I've been struggling with fatigue, and Dr suggested a low dose of Clonasepam which did help sleep but made me feel moody. I've tried muscle relaxants before and they didn't agree with me either.

I guess its a tricky one going through Dr's because most are not experts in CP.

Getting older and CP is something that doesn't seem to have a lot of support.
  • Nuala Watt
    Nuala Watt Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Options
    HI Jill

I'm sorry to hear your treatment has been so patchy - treatment of CP in adults does tend to be haphazard in my experience, though this may be just my area. Can you swim? I swim breastroke regularly - I can't do front crawl due to CP in my ankles - and I find that it reduces muscle pain as well as keeping me fit. I didn't learn until I was 22 because I was scared of water - I'm 28 It's a really good form of exercise that doesn't batter your joints in the way other exercise can. Please excuse me if you don't like swimming - it's made such a difference to my symptoms I thought I would mention it. Apart from that, keep going love - it's only a medical condition. It can be a right pain in various parts of the body, but it's only part of you. Very best wishes and good luck. Nuala
  • Jill2013
    Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Hi Many thanks for your comments. Well done Nuala for learning to swim. I havent been swimming for ages but have just moved house and have a swimming pool very close so really I have no excuse now. Like you I can only swim breastroke but Im not that good at it. I think swimming may be the best way for me to start exercising. To get benefit from CP how often do you swim and did you do a course to learn, I think im going to need a bit of advice to improve my swimming.
  • Nuala Watt
    Nuala Watt Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Options
    Hi Jill

Sorry for the long break in replying. I had adult swimming lessons - it takes some time to learn with cerebral palsy because getting messages through to the brain takes a while. Your mind understands what to do, but it may not be that good at letting your body know. Also I'm quite a slow swimmer relatively speaking because I cannot co-ordinate movement well - I need to do them in sequence rather than simultaneously - so legs, then glide, then arms, Your local swimming pool probably has lessons for disabled adults. I go swimming three or four times a week but that's because I love swimming - it's the only real opportunity I get to move around freely - but you can probably get benefits from once or twice a week. Be patient with yourself. Best of luck. Nuala

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.