Moods- autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moods- autism

JimJams
JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
edited August 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
What is the best thing to do for an autistic child who is going through a bout of going off in huffs. He says just go away and leave me alone, should I do this or try to comfort him, he somtimes lashes out. But I feel so bad leaving him alone to work it out himself if he is sad.

Comments

• terriph
    terriph Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Is this a teen? With teens it's important to remember that they are teenagers first, with raging hormones and moods and their autism is secondary. It's perfectly normal for a teen to be moody - maybe they should be left alone for a bit and enticed after a while with an activity they like. If they are younger or older, maybe get some help from a professional. Good luck.
  • JimJams
    Thanks for the advice, he is only 5 that is why I want to comfort him so much as he is upset by something, I left him alone yesterday and he came round in his own time, I watched him through a crack in the door and he was ok. I sometimes forgot its not all about autism , he does get upset just let any other 5 year old and gets up to mischeive also. thanks again
  • JosieB
    JosieB Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Marie

It must be quite stressful for you to see your son like this. Is there any chance he will talk about what is upsetting him when he has calmed down? It might be worth jotting down dates and times of this happening and what immediately precedes it to maybe figure out the source of what troubles him.

Is he at school and is this happening when he is there?

Josie
  • JimJams
    Thanks Josie, school are not really reporting moods, he is settled quite well there. It seems to be when something out of the ordinary happens. like a surprise visitor , things like that. Will keep track of it and see if their is a pattern. thanks again
  • Willow
    Willow Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    One thing to try is introducing "surprises" in his visual timetable, then when something out of the ordinary happens , use your picture card eg a question mark then. Or add an end to it, yes someone has arrived we were not expecting but they will leave at 7.00.
    I know it is hard for you when he says leave him alone but to me that is fantastic communication. Many people I have known could not do this and may have communicated this sentiment using challenging behaviour.
    It is natural to comfort with words and or touch (and unnatural to step back) but sometimes it adds to the stress because you are adding social and communication pressure.
  • fairywishes
    fairywishes Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    Hia it might be worth also having a look through the thread 'Angry outbursts' as that's a question I started about my 6yr old angry/huffs. There have been some useful replies.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.