Tell us your good news! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us your good news!

Emma
Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
We want to hear your happy stories! Tell us about your proud moments and your latest breakthroughs. Has he just learned to run his own bath? Is she walking now? What better place to celebrate than here - amongst people who understand the hard work that's gone into your success!

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Our son is the only pupil at his special needs school with no speech. Any class, or school assemblies would involve our son holding up a picture, or being dressed as a tree, or cloud! Last term the children stood up to show parents their art work and to give a small description as to what it was relating to their holiday experiences. Our son held up his "picture", not a clue what it was, but then he shouted out "ding ding" meaning bus. All parents present were so chuffed to hear his first words and watch us mop the tears away. A memory we will never forget. Our son is 9 years old we waited along time for that moment.
  • StevePike
    StevePike Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Three cheers for ding ding ! Thank you Netbuddy for making this space. My 16 year old son has been in a wheel chair for the last two years. Over the last 6 months he las lost quite a lot of weight (he needed to lose weight, something which is very hard to do when you have LD and can't walk). He has begun to weight bear again so now he can transition more easily and can even sort of stand up next to me for a short while. I can't describe the surge of emotion and how it feels to have my son stand next to me.
  • Bigsis2
    Bigsis2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My brother Ben is 54 and has Down's syndrome. He's always had a brilliant sense of humour, and when he was younger he loved to be the centre of attention, but over the last few years, he's become very withdrawn. He goes to a day centre and has stopped doing a lot of the activities there. Recently they suggested to my parents that Ben might have early onset Alzheimers. When my parents told me, I was naturally very upset. Ben picked up on my mood and, with a twinkle in his eye, he nudged me and said, "Parents eh?" It was lovely to see his old sense of humour back - and it couldn't have been better timed!
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    edited June 2014
    Thanks to some of the advice from net buddy users, I have been able to apply some more useful strategies when coping with my sons autism, I have tried extending his foods and he is now eating raisins happily and not so many crisps or unhealthy snacks and his weight is going down a bit. Introducing subtle changes seems to be the way forward. Thanks net buddy
  • Naomi
    Naomi Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    My goddaughter has severe cerebral palsy and has always refused to tolerate gloves, which in the cold weather obviously limits the amount of time she can spend outdoors in her wheelchair. After years of massage and brushing her hands - the back and front of the hand, between her fingers, from the elbow down, and with many different types of brushes - she is finally tolerating gloves. We find the best type of gloves comes from Accessorize as they are loose around the wrist and so go on more easily. They are fingerless with a type of tea cosy which fits over the top of the fingers. We then use bands around her wrists to keep her gloves in place. This makes outdoor activities so much more enjoyable!
  • Teresa
    Teresa Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    My seven year old daughter has limited functional speech and has not shown much interest in talking to friends or relatives on the phone. I was amazed the other day when the phone rang and she told me to 'answer phone' and then asked 'who is it?'. It might not sound like much, but I was so thrilled!
  • JimJams
    It is so heartwarming to read all these fantastic good news stories, our children are amazing!!
  • AuKids
    AuKids Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Don't assume that a child who has not learned to use sign language can never learn it. I tried with my son when he was five with no luck. Then when his motor skills improved, I tried again and was amazed at how responsive he'd suddenly become. So never right off a technique, it could be a case of right technique, wrong time!
  • JimJams
    My son who constantly strips off, asked for pyjamas out of the blue last week, he will now change out of his school clothes into pyjamas now. I have only been trying to get him to do this for 3 years. Hopefully this will last but I suspect it is because the weather is turning, fingers crossed.
  • Clare35
    Clare35 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi everyone my son is 8 years old and started walking last year. recently he has been swinging his legs round to get out of the car instead of us trying to lift him out we certainly get some proud moments with him.
  • Teresa
    Teresa Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    It was my daughter's birthday last week and, for the first time, she showed real awareness that it was a special day for her. It was so nice for us to be able to really feel that we were sharing the occasion with her, even though she woke up at the crack of dawn demanding PRESENTS!
  • JimJams
    My boy is showering and tolerating water on his head, not quite got round to the shampoo yet, but water on his head is a start. He was terrified of the shower for some reason and did not even like rain on his head, but now he is showering and singing away in the shower
  • JimJams
    Hi everyone hope you are all having a relaxing time over xmas hols. We had a good day out yesterday at the zoo, give or take a few roughed up penguins. My son had a good day yesterday, and showed a bit of interest in the animals. Have a good new year everyone
  • Heather
    I know what you mean. We are having to convert our house to accommodate our son downstairs as he can't access the bathroom upstairs. But we only have space for bedroom and wetroom, so trying to teach our son to tolerate the shower. He plays fireman with the shower head which is great in a wetroom....not so good wiping down the bathroom walls though! But he is happy to play, just comes out as dirty as he went in though!
  • Mixxi
    Mixxi Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    This is a slightly older happy story. Last summer, when we to visit the grandparents who live by the sea, my boy showed some increased interest in the little coin operated electric cars.
    After a few days and many, many coins - not to mention all the breaking down of tasks - pedals, steering and running around the track adjusting the car - he finally steered and drove around the track by himself.
    Even better, my parents were there to see it - I could have burst with pride..until my Dad said "so what, he's a smart lad - he'll work it out"
    (My folks can't really accept my boy's disability yet)
    Still - it was an amazing moment for me, my boy...and my husband when I told him later on the phone.
  • JimJams
    Amazing story, I can feel your pride, I wish I could have seen it, I had a similar experience this year when my son went a pedal bike on his own, his motor skills have improved enough to pedal and steer at the same time, did not stop me running behind him everywhere like a looney, but he found this funny.
  • Heather
    We all run round like they're about to fall into a million pieces....don't we look sillly!!!???!!!. But a friend was telling me of when her parents took her autistic son off to the lakes. Their normal dog walking area. But the grandson had a routine, climb a tree, go to the supermarket and home. Grandparents lost sight of him at the lake, so headed for "his" tree. No sight of him. Asked everyone in sight. Someone remarked a boy of that discription had ran over to the supermarket some 10 minutes ago. So off go the "oldies" Gran having just had a hip replacement. Asked in store and they kindly viewed the CCTV. Yes he had entered the store, 5 minutes later seen leaving the store! Panic, police phoned and grandparents decided to head back to the lakes...this had taken an hour!..but enroute, there was the lad in the middle of a duel carriageway munching the biscuits and cakes he had just walked out the supermarket with, walking home. He's 12 with a mental age of 3 years...he knew what he wanted and was totally unaware of any upset! Gran and grandad were alittle more grey after that episode! But he had actually gone into the supermarket, found the gluten free biscuits and was preparing to walk the 10 miles home! How astonishing is that? you'll all recognise him...he's on the Britain's most wanted shop lifters list!
  • JimJams
    My son has learned to swim over the summer holidays, he has been having lessons for a year and just the other week started swimming on his own with no floats under water, he is like a wee dolphin now, no stopping him, I am so proud, another achievement for my boy affected by autism
  • JimJams
    Heather just saw your story above re the wee boy and his grandparents. what a shame they must have been worried sick, at least they caught up with him and all was well in the end. I believe they will have more grey hair, mines has turned white in the past two years, and I look 20 years older than I am, but its all worth it in the end
  • Mixxi
    Mixxi Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    Hi Marie - loved your story about the swimming. (I always enjoy your posts) Well done to the dolphin boy! We are a long way off that yet but at least my lad likes going in the pool now - so I am hopeful.
    We had a wonderful summer - my boy went to my works playscheme (with support) and he absolutley loved it. He was so happy that it made me realise how miserable he must have been in his last year at school. I'm determined to make his school life much happier and more stimulating this year. Disappointing that a special school always assumes that the pupils are stupid. I know he's got alot of problems but there is a lively little mind in there - if only he'd tell us about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.