Hair Phobic + ASD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair Phobic + ASD

Alan
Alan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,

Anyone have any ideas to make a trip to the barbers a little less hysterical? I'm reasonably certain the problem is the feeling of cut hair on his face - the only solution I can think of is sticking a clear plastic guard to his forehead (like with pritt-pads).

I'd probably still have to sit him on my lap, to make sure he didn't pull the guard off, but I suspect that it will be a lot less uncomfortable for both of us - I am struggling to restrain him at present, and he is only 5!

Many thanks,

Alan..

Comments

• Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
    Just got this tip on our Facebook page: We have a hair dresser come to our home, less upsetting and no waiting. I have a 5yr old with asd.
  • Emma
    Another great tip via Facebook: I take my sons ipad with us and put his favourite clips on whilst my hairdresser cuts at the speed of light.
  • Emma
    We've had lots of replies to this on our Facebook page! Here's another one:

My next door neighbour always used to cut Daniel's hair from when he was little. The younger you start getting used to hair /doctor /dentist the better. If that not working you have your hair cut first. Sit in front of TV whatever distracts yr son. Now Daniel is 23 and still doesn't want his hair cut so i just got my brother in law to get clippers and do it. Then i get his dad to tell him how handsome he looks etc so hopefully he will remember next time and it will be easier. Perhaps it's something to do w control from their side. If they saying no they are in control. Good luck whatever strategy works
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi. My son is very sensitive to hair cutting. We tried several friends at home, but with snipped fingers and constant screaming most refused to try again. Then a friend recommended a barber...think a male doing it helped. My son was slightly more compliant. But sitting him in the shop window to watch the traffic was the biggest attraction. Still a few wiggles and bolts for the door, but he does tolerate it and uses the brush after to clean his own face. At the age of 10, we are getting there!
  • stubrit2
    stubrit2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Bag Books do a funny multi-sensory story about going to the hairdressers which might lighten the mood: http://www.bagbooks.org/books.html#22
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    My son with autism hates haircuts also, we have been using clippers since he was 1 , he is now 6 and still protests , but not as much, I let him hold a bar of chocolate/ or a box of sweets etc and say he can have it all if he makes it through to the end of the haircut, this helps a bit. Also minimise the time between haircuts , the more exposure the better.
  • fairywishes
    fairywishes Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    I found taking my daughter to the hairdressers when I'm having my hair cut or when her younger brother is helped. Our hairdressers are lovely & let her lie on the floor playing with the hair when I'm having my hair cut. Sometimes I've taken her when she is not having her hair cut to help her see it's not always scary. Now we both have our hair cut together. I don't know if that'll help but maybe 'visiting' the hairdressers without a hair cut might be a first step.
  • jamiebear
    jamiebear Community member Posts: 6 Courageous
    hi there. I have 2 boys on the autistic spectrum and i always refer to their hair being done as a hair trim (not cut). This seems to pacify them and for the last 3 years, we've had a lovely hairdresser come to the house. It's much better for them as they remain calm.
    If you go out for a trim, maybe go when it's less busy or even ask the haordresser to open a little earlier just for you

i've found in the past that the boys got over whelmed by all the lights and other sensory issues.
    good luck!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.