constant mouthing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

constant mouthing

Janine
Janine Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi I am working with a four year old little girl with lots of sensory issues and learning difficulties. She either has her hands constantly in her mouth biting on them or is chewing on anything she finds around. We have tried a chewelry bracelet with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions please. Thanks

Comments

• lozangel38
    lozangel38 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2014
    I work in special needs school we use chewy sticks for the children that attend to chew their hands more often. They are great for sensory and saves their clothes to
  • toast
    toast Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    edited September 2015
    my daughter is very much like this. We found that she was much better with the chewlery necklace than the bracelet - think because it was closer to her mouth all the time. I've also used dummy clips / mitten holders and those curly plastic wallet chains you can pick up in the pound shops to clip on the P's/ Q's / chewy tubes: http://www.sensorytoywarehouse.com

Another thing I tried which worked well was to make a baby teether blanket into a bib. She likes both the plastic teether bits and the material - bit of chewy variety!

I've realised I cannot really stop her mouthing things - that is her way of exploring and understanding objects around her. Developmentally, she is at the same stage of a baby who does this. However, as much as possible I encourage her to use objects appropriately and direct her chewing complusion elsewhere
  • Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
    edited September 2015
    Hi Janine - have you had a look at our chewing section? There's some great suggestions there: https://community.scope.org.uk/tips/chewing
  • Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
    also some good stuff coming in on our fb page: http://www.facebook.com/netbuddytips
  • Janine
    Janine Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Thanks very much for all your suggestions
    Janine
  • Kerry
    Kerry Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My son puts everything in his mouth too! Have you tried exercise tubing? I was recommended theratube by an OT, this is expensive, my son much prefers the exercise tubing, you can buy it on ebay, but it does come in 15 metres length! At least you wont run out for a while! I got mine from physiosuppliesltd on ebay. There are also a few good USA sites on ebay that sell toys that dont seem to be available here, I usually type in sensory or autism & find loads of different "chewies".
  • No1Courier
    No1Courier Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi we use chewigems for our 4 year old autistic son to stop him chewing his hands and clothes. Here is a link to there web site.
    www.chewigem.co.uk
    Hope it helps

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.