Hoarding/wearing dirty clothes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hoarding/wearing dirty clothes

Options
kettleyj
kettleyj Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Can anyone help?
My son loves soft fabrics he is dyspraxic, ok that is fine but he loves them dirty and hoards them in his bed and back in the drawers. Today we have a sock crisis, 1. where are the socks??? 2. They are all dirty but I have yet to find them. I have tried standing outside the door and then taking the clothes (a bit gestapo ish), wash bin in room, lots of wash baskets. I have just removed half of his wardrobe from inside his bed all dirty!
Any ideas????

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Options
    My first reaction is...has your son got any of our missing odd socks? I have never heard of anything like this before, but would guess it's a comfort for your son. Has anyone tried a social story? My son has dyspraxia and often soils himself, then hides the clothes, I think out of embarassment though, as he seems to be aware others don't have accidents and he might get teased. He takes his socks off and eats them! But that's the closest link we have with your issue. Sorry not a lot of help. Good luck
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Options
    Do you think he might also have some socks from our house? :)
    Can you give him a sock bag filled with socks that are acceptable to take to bed and try to enforce that clothes that have been worn go straight into the wash basket in another room?
    Or might a fluffy blanket in his bed be a good swap?
    If you find a solution please let us know!
  • kettleyj
    kettleyj Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi,
    I think I have some of your socks and you may have some of ours! We seem to favour odd socks and are unphased by it! We have put fluffy blankets in, I have also discovered clothes in toy boxes, baskets, dressing up bos all dirty none solied he just prefers that texture! I have taken to the gestapo apporach for this week and standing outside the bathroom handing the pj's as he goes in and making him throw the clothes out the door when he is in there. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.