Haircuts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Haircuts

septicgirl
septicgirl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can help me in finding a way for my son to get his haircut. He's 4 years old and for the past 2 years we've had a massive problem about getting his hair cut. He has a melt down including kicking screaming and moving so fast that it has in the past taken 2 adults and a pretty brave and fast hairdresser to get his haircut. However the hairdresser we used has moved on and the salon won't tell us where she went to.

We've tried everything in the tips section from home cuts to having his favourite DVD to his iPad. We've promised him his favourite food, activities the works really. And nothing seems to work.

I wonder if I am missing something - does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi. A really common problem and massively stressful. I think most of our friends have had the midnight tiptoe into the bedroom to snip a bit of hair away. Or one even cacooned her son in a duvet, husband held him whilst she cut. Very extreme...but understandable. We experienced all your efforts and went through various hairdressers. My only good news is:- in most cases they do get better. Our son is now 11 and we found a hairdresser who sit him at the shop window so he can watch the cars and does a quick cut within 5 minutes. Just try keeping calm and eventually it will work out. Good luck
  • dillyduck
    dillyduck Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My husband and I used to live in the outback of Australia, and I taught myself how to cut his hair. We've all seen how the hairdresser cuts our own hair, it's not that difficult to get the hang of it. Youngest son (SLD) was hyperactive, he used to sit on a chair in the kitchen at home with my husband holding his head and chin so he couldn't move even if he wanted to! I now have my own set of Wahl clippers like the hairdressers use. Youngest son finds it much easier to manage his hair if he has a No4 cut, then it's wash and go. Eldest son just has a No1 cut!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.