Shaving — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shaving

JimJams
JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
Does anyone have tips for starting to shave above the upper lip of an adolescent boy with autism and additional learning disabilities? Would you try electric or razor and why?

Comments

• PWL66
    PWL66 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    No tips Mandy, but about to start the same thing with my son (ASD). I think I'm going to go for electric, could be safer than a razor. But it's whether they can cope with the noise/vibrations?
  • Teresa20
    Teresa20 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    My son is 18 and has special needs he needs shaving every couple of days as the longer we leave it the harder it is (I have to do it for him) we use an electric one but it doesn't always cut very well despite buying a decent shaver was tempted to use razor but worried if he moves about while doing it. So would also welcome some advice
  • Mandy2
    Mandy2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    One recent development: our very sympathetic hairdresser is using neck clippers for a few seconds each hair cut, to see if he can tolerate the noise and vibration at the back of his neck before trying anything near his mouth.
  • BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    The sympathetic hairdresser sounds fab! Shaving in the bath can also work (it's all about consistent sensory input). You will need to check for skin compatibility but hair removal creams might be another solution.
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    It might be an idea to introduce the electric shaver for a while before actually using it on his face, let him get used to the feeling of it and the noise etc ,maybe let him show show when he is ready for it to go near his face
  • KareninWales
    KareninWales Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    I had the same sorts of problems with cutting my son't hair (he isn't old enough to shave but I'm looking to the future). I used to snatch and grab with scissors which looked awful but I assumed it was better than a noisy clipper. However once I tried the clippers they were so much safer (and did such a better job) that I have never looked back. He still hates having his hair cut (goodness knows how he will react to shaving) but it is quick and safe and the clipper is reasonably quiet. I'm assuming that shaving will be the same with him, but I'm posting here partly so I can keep up with other people's tips for which many thanks in advance.
  • Mandy2
    Mandy2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited June 2014
    I had an interesting chat with someone recently and it was the wording that put one of the children she cares for off haircutting, it was the word cut that used to frighten her, so they started using different words like tidy up your hair etc, the girl had associated the word cut with having a cut finger or a painful cut.
  • FATHERSCONTACT
    FATHERSCONTACT Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I know this might not be so easy for the girls amongst you to put to practice but in many areas of autism problems like this can be approached on the basis of making it a game. Let Dad show the lad shaving himself and how good it is afterwards, don't push the issue but watch for when he feels able or willing to take part, as the subsciber above suggested
    JohnE

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.