Chewing everything — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chewing everything

Heather
Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
Hi. My 11 year old chews everything in sight, electric cables, watches, phones, DVDs etc etc he just craves chewing. He has alot of sensory issues, but this habit is so destructive. Our current concern is him chewing his fingers. He's always done it, to the point of breaking his skin and deforming the fingers with scarred tissue. But we have tried chewy toys, tubing from OT etc. Now we have the added problem he has developed finger warts. The GP gave us creams to burn the warts off, but keeping the fingers out his mouth has proved too dangerous to use medications. GPs next suggestion is sedation and cutting the warts away before he contracts mouth warts as well. I'm reluctant to go down this route as the last minor sugery resulted in severe seizures and a cardiac arrest...so not happy to go down that route. He's also had impetigo twice. Really need to break this habit, any ideas?

Comments

• JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    edited June 2014
    Oh heather I wish I had an answer for you, my son chewed almost right down to the copper on a cable that was plugged in once, we got to him in time thankfully, he is now facsinated with choking and choking sensation, I have to watch him like a hawk constantly, maybe one of the other experts can help.
  • Orla
    Orla Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have the problem with my four year old but I was told he has pica but they haven't told me how to stop it just have to keep an eye on him constantly his fav thing to eat is hair but he will eat and chew anything
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    My sons choking obsession seems to have passed thankfully, what will be next i wonder. He is back on his obsession re dinosaurs , and talks all day about them, i think I will put him on mastermind

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.