Common medical conditions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Common medical conditions

Alistair
Alistair Community member Posts: 102 Listener
Just spent 20 minutes or so wondering where to post this one. I hope some experts and some of you Mums out there read it. I will try and be as concise as possible.
This afternoon I got a call from my daughters' teacher. She has wet herself twice this week (very unusual). He tells me he is going to inform social services and that I should take her to the GP to check for a UTI. All quite understandable and correct with regard to safeguarding etc. (However I wounder if social services would be involved if I was a woman?)
My daughter hates doctors and will not see a male GP. OK, get an appointment for tomorrow morning and then get a call back from the surgery saying that they have written a prescription which I should get but that I was not to give any medicine until they had a sample. Rush to get sample bottle and prescription. (I'm half way cooking fish pie). Two chemists later get home and girl is not happy. Does not want to give sample, wont wee but had a poo and tried to flush sample pot down the loo!
If any one has bright ideas I'd love to hear from you.
This is really the abridged version of this afternoon/evenings events!

Comments

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    how bizarre - since when did UTI = SS/child protection issue ?

i would be tempted to call SS myself and say you understand they want to come and help you collect a wee sample ? and they very welcome to come and assist....

• Alistair
    To be fair, soiling can be a sign of abuse. Ha, Ha, you're right, social worker should come and get sample. However since I've been trying to talk to her all week and she has not responded to my messages (phone calls and Emails) I don't suppose she'll be here any time soon.
    It's been a very stressful 24 hours. Daughter is obviously uncomfortable but would not get out of the car to see our GP. I've been trying to think of ways to get a sample but none of them seem practical...bucket, clingfilm, carrier bag.....I don't know. Anyway started her on the antibiotics. Thanks, natashailg, thought you have something to say!
  • josfromglos
    josfromglos Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    An as good as possible Happy Newyear to everyone and more in particular Alistair. I hope 'things' are under reasonable control at the moment Alistair?
    Excuses to everyone that I have not posted/ have not been on this site for a while, other issues simply took over!
    Still in that job Alistair? (for as far it is 'überhaupt' possible to still be in that job taking into account your circumstances).
  • Alistair
    Hi jos, and all you others. I hope 2013 will be a good year for people with disabilities, Let's make sure we keep campaigning (with the help of Netbuddy etal).
    It frightens me a bit that I am actually quite optimistic for my daughter and I. I haven't actually started work yet. My CRB check didn't arrive until Christmas Eve! I have my first day this week- can't wait!
    I'm optimistic because I really feel that we are getting more support and being listened to by all those 'others' who seem to have so much power over our lives. (You know who I mean). It frightens me because 'they' can so easily let us down.
    How are you jos? And how about your girls?
    I'd love to know how Heather's son is getting on and let's hear a bit more from feisty natashailg!
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi Guys!!!!! Sounds like 2013 is starting well for most....my hubby got made redundant last week...yuk! BUT we're optimistic, perhaps it's our year to win the lottery! LOL. As for our son's new school, He is a new child!!!!!!!!SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY! Star pupil and thrieving. He was 8 stone Aug'11, then all the school **** put him at 6 stone in 6 months!. He is now a bouncing 8 1/2 stone, no more self harming, soiling or night terrors. He is trying to talk and so keen to go to school. He is still building up the social interaction, playtimes and lunch time, but he has had no fall outs and the school can't believe how loving he is. And yet the previous school said he was violent and should be placed in a residential school! How wrong were they!?!?!?! We are thrilled. The mere inconvenience of work and financial insecurity won't dampen our spirits! Here's to 2013! Parent power! Happy children!!!! x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.