Coping with Work & First Job — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coping with Work & First Job

Options
JBeare01
JBeare01 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the forums but I have had little luck finding help.

For the last 7 months, I have been on a graduate scheme for a technical role and unfortunately I think it is beyond my capabilities in this point in my life.

I was diagnosed with ADHD and it looks like I may have mild autism thing. Unfortunately I suffered from depression for the last 3 months. Well, I've had alot of personal problems. Social-Internet addiction, depression and my ADHD. It really messed up my chances at my work.

I still have a chance to make it. I have 2 months of my extended probation period to show my work and since I cured my internet addiction and depression, my productivity has sharply risen to the point I was being praised for my work.

But now I worry it is too little too late. Those three months are a black spot on my first job and it's now haunting me.

Now fortunuately my depression is gone and my confidence is back to what it was. But my anxiety is still running me in circles.

I'm worried that if I did get fired from my first job I'll lose my confidence and I'll suffer in the future.

So I guess I have two questions today.

1, what can I do to make myself even more productive and prevent the ADHD issues? (Procrastination, organization and memory loss)

2, if I did get fired, have I just screwed up my career in software development?

Thanks for any help. I really need it right now.

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Options
    Hi there! Well done on starting your new job, you should be very proud of yourself for taking that big step! I haven't any magic answers I'm afraid, but I do hope your employers appreciate your difficulties and how hard you are working on producing the best work possible for them. Perhaps some medical information for your employer may help them understand how difficult this is for you and how they can best support you? Good luck!
  • GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Hi, congratulations from me as well for your new job!! I think there are a few things that you can consider/try to either secure this job or look for another one:

- As Heather suggested, educating your employer is really important and they might need to make some adjustments to help you use your skills and optimize your performance. Have you thought of putting together an one-page profile? This is something I usually advice people looking for a job or holding a job to do, as it gives employers/colleagues basic but important information about yourself and what you find helpful/less helpful. A good resource is this website: http://www.helensandersonassociates.co.uk/reading-room/how/person-centred-thinking/one-page-profiles.aspx

- It seems that you managed to go through very difficult situations like depression and internet-addiction. Have you spoken with any health professional about these? Maybe a Psychologist could help you with managing anxiety and also offer you some support to build on your (existing) coping and organisational skills ?

You mentioned that you have some "autism like" behaviours too, so I am wondering if it's worth making contact with Prospects, an employment service provided by the National Autistic Society (http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/employment-support/employees.aspx)

It sounds like you are dealing with quite a lot at the moment, but you still managed to get praised for your work, so well done!
    Best of luck and keep us posted!

• RichardLamplough
    RichardLamplough Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    You still have two months left of your contract to run - that's still a good deal of time. So think about it, if your work is praised for these two months - add this to your recent success, and it will have a more lasting impression than the first three months that you feel are under a cloud. Remember too, that's YOUR perception - the cloud might seem considerably darker to you than it is to your employer.

Have you heard of "fatalising"?..... What if THIS dreadful thing happens??? Then maybe THAT dreadful thing will happen???!!! and before you know it your going down deeper and deeper into a dark hole and you feel you can't get out!
    Well, sit back and take a cold hard look at it. The first "dreadful thing" will probably never happen, and it's at that point you realise that an hour's worth of fatalising was just a waste of energy!

My advice is try not to let the ADHD and the mild autism thing become "the issue". Whilst you're at work focus on your duties and carry them out to the best of your ability. When you leave work and go home, give yourself some "YOU TIME" - do things you enjoy and don't dwell on work or what lies ahead in the future. I know that's hard sometimes, but it might help you look at things objectively.

You say you think the graduate scheme is "beyond my capabilities in this point in my life." It might be, or it might not - I think there's every chance it's not, but the truth is I don't know you, and I don't know your work situation. You DO know you, and you do know your work situation, but it's also true you don't know the final outcome - you still have two months to go! It's at that point you can reflect upon it and see what avenue is best for you to take. A lot can change between now and then.

I wish you all the very best!
  • JetsonGeorge79
    JetsonGeorge79 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi JBeare01

I think I may be a little late with this post as I think the 2 month extension to your probation will likely have passed. How are things going now? My thoughts on your questions are as follows:

1, what can I do to make myself even more productive and prevent the ADHD issues? (Procrastination, organization and memory loss)

I agree with the previous poster about the need for your employer to make some adjustments to the way you work. It might be a good idea to sit with someone and explain what you find difficult and then identify some solutions. For example, it might be able to identify some strategies that will help with organisation such as making lists or setting aside some time at the start and end of the day to identify your priorities. Once you have identified changes that will help you work more effectively it may be useful to agree these with your employer and write them down so everyone is clear what you need going forward.

2, if I did get fired, have I just screwed up my career in software development?

If things don't work out in this job for whatever reason it's important not to panic. Sometimes jobs don't work out for a lots of reasons. It's a good idea to have think about what you will say if a prospective employer asks why you left your last job. Be positive about yourself and your last employer, but be as honest as you can whilst still selling yourself. If your probation wasn't made permanent then you might want to ask your previous employer if they would agree a reference with you. That way you can confidently explain your situation to new employers without worrying about what your previous employer will say.

I hope things have worked out for you!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.