Son has cerebral palsy with autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son has cerebral palsy with autism

myjakeys
myjakeys Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
edited January 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hiya, my son is nearly ten years old and has cerebral palsy and I found out in january that he has autism. He still poos in his underpants and cannot dress himself. He can undress himself and he can put his trousers on and his top if its laid out a certain way. Everything was always put down to the cerebral palsy but I am now finding out its mostly been down to the autism which was only diagnosed in january this year 2014. What I am asking really is there anyone who has similar problems. He can't put his shoes or socks on which I ve tried and tried but he can't master it. He also is unable to get himself a drink ie. Get milk out of fridge open it and pour it. His cerebral palsy is spastic diplegia and he can walk but uses a wheelchair. This seems like I m being really negative saying all the things he can't do but I just worry for his future and wonder if he will master any of theses things. By the way he is a amazing little boy who is very clever and can also do lots. He is my world. Please reply xxxxx

Comments

• carmonthouse
    carmonthouse Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, is he in a mainstream school or an SEN school. We have a daughter who started in mainstream but then we moved her to an SEN school to learn life skills. If you are keen that he stays in mainstream (some people are, however you have to be mindful that he may be being excluded by being included) many of the SEN schools will do part time with a view to getting him the skills he needs to stay in mainstream without any issues.
    Unfortunately, some things just take time and patience (lots of it), my daughter, now 18, still struggles with socks and cannot do laces (amongst many other things) - will she ever be able to do laces? probably not but we never dismiss the fact that one day she might, in-between time it's finding alternative ways (Velcro tabs or slip on shoes) that at least means some sort of independence.
    Toileting - we still have some issues here but they are very slowly diminishing and we know she will master them but in her own time. We found toilet timing helpful, so just setting a time each morning, lunch, afternoon, etc and just make them sit there to get used to the idea. Have you considered that the signal or message that goes to the brain that he needs the toilet either just isn't getting there or isn't being recognised. All the Best.
  • myjakeys
    myjakeys Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hiya, thanks so much for your reply. Jake is already in a special school and has been since he was three and a half. He goes in the seniors sept 2015 so I need to choose a school that will teach him life skills.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi Myjakes thanks for posting about Jake, you're right he does sound amazing, I know what you mean about not wanting to focus on the things he can't do, as we all want the world to see how awesome our kids are! Hopefully a diagnosis will help you both get support. Was it hard getting an assessment/diagnosis?
  • autismmum
    autismmum Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    hi myjakeys, my son is 9 and was dx with CP when he was a baby and we then got a dx of Autism when he was 4 years old. We have been fortunate that with intense physiotherapy he is walking and is no longer using any supporting aids. He still poos and wets his pants, he cant dress him self independently, like your little man if the items are laid out for him he will attempt it but we end with clothes inside out or wrong way round. But when I was reading your post I remember when my son was about five and I thought OMG he will never be able to do anything for himself, yet he is 9 and he has made so much progress. I know its hard hun but try and keep a hold of the positives about your child. they will make progress but in their time :) I have just got a report from the school that he is currently 3/4 years behind his peers in terms of reading, numeracy and writing. it is so hard every day there is another hurdle but we have to stay strong for our children.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.