thinking our son got CP for one reason and then 2 years later finding out its not that. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

thinking our son got CP for one reason and then 2 years later finding out its not that.

lizzie2002
lizzie2002 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi my son is now 2 with CP and I'm now pregnant with my second child. We were always told that he had CP as a result of swollowing to much meconium.
I went to the hospital this week to chat about baby number 2 and they said they will do anything we want. Fine no problem as long as baby and myself are looked after. They then got the notes from my first birth and the lady said that the chance of my son swallowing that much is very unlikely as it was just under 6hrs from my waters going and me having him and it also said when they were examining me my waters where clear. She then read on and saw that in my discharge letter it said there was a chance I could of had an infection but she said that was unlikely too in the time frame, I was never told about that till she told me and I was never tested for any infections. I now have no idea why it happened, we know there where issues with gases. I want to know why we were told one thing and its now not that.
Any ideas on what I do now? I don't feel like its acceptable at all.
Very hurt and upset.

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    edited September 2015
    Hello Lizzie
    Thank you for your online community post and we are sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing. As we are not medical professionals we are not qualified to give specific advice regarding your son’s diagnosis, but fully understand that you want clarity on this matter. We would recommend that you take this up with the hospital, contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service in the first instance who should be able to investigate this for you.
    http://www.nhs.uk/service-search/

Scope has Regional Workers who provide support and advice for families affected by cerebral palsy. If you would like to talk to a Regional Worker, please do contact the Scope Helpline on 0808 800 3333 or email helpline@scope.org.uk and we would be very happy to assist you.
    Kind regards, Scope Helpline
  • lizzie2002
    lizzie2002 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Many thanks for that I will get in touch x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.