Children with high functioning autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children with high functioning autism

stacey782
stacey782 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a 6 year old who has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism and we are finding there is no support for us. The school have been great with him but it is hard for us at home. We cant go anywhere as a family without a meltdown and then our 4 year old misses out. Also the effect this has on all of us is very hard sometimes and we feel we have no one to talk to or help us. His meltdowns happen so quickly we are still trying to find triggers. When he does have a meltdown he runs away, hits, kicks and becomes verbally aggressive however the rest of the time apart from his quirky habits (humming, rocking, flapping) he is a lovely happy little boy

Comments

• Jess123
    Jess123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Dear Stacey
    Big hugs on the autism diagnosis. We were told in July about our son being autistic with dyspraxic traits too.

It has hit my husband and I like a train. I am so glad for forums like this because although we do have friends it is hugely isolating and stressful condition.

The meltdowns can be exhausting too to deal with and dispiriting. What we find is that we have no warning of when they might happen.

There are a few activities which really help
    Swimming a great relaxer.
    Lego
    Horse riding.

I really hope other people use this forum to share their ideas too for you and encouragements. You are not alone
    Love
    jess
  • Maxianne
    Maxianne Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi Stacey
    I known you have said you haven't found the trigger for your son's meltdowns yet, but when you think one is on it's way have some bubbles to hand for him to blow, as deep breathes help to regulate his breathing and calm him quicker.
  • ajchm
    ajchm Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Finding triggers helps, but we found there were too many to prevent! We have found thinking through where we can have a quiet space is helpful, it can take a long time to reset things, also we try not to schedule too much as this is usually the problem. The good news is as they get older, meltdowns decrease, the bad news is they are worse when they do happen however you can prevent them easier as they can look after themselves more.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.