Hip dislocation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hip dislocation

Options
Ouagamaman
Ouagamaman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi,
My son is 9 years old, he has spastic diplegia and his hips are now fully dislocated. I am now facing the difficult decision many parents face about what to do for the best. He can not walk independently but he does stand with support and can weight bear. This is a key skill for him as it gives some independence with toileting, moving around etc. and he enjoys using his walker and standing. My son also has learning difficulties and not having control and independence is a great source of frustration for him and has a significant impact on his behaviour.
We have discussed the possibility of derotational hip osteotomies with his orthopaedic surgeon but the team were worried about how my son would deal with the recovery and I am obviously concerned about putting him through such a traumatic procedure, however, I am also anxious that without any surgery he could lose all the mobility he currently has as he grows bigger and heavier.
I would like to hear from parents with children who have gone through hip / pelvic surgery or people with CP that have had any of these procedures to help me make an informed decision about what to do for the best.
Thanks,
Melissa

Comments

• shelby2003
    shelby2003 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Melissa, my little one Connor is due to have this surgery in the middle of November. It's been a really tough decision but he's already in pain with his hips and we don't want to lose the sitting skills that he's recently started to gain (he's 7). We're lucky that Connor is fairly robust and is rarely sick but it's still a scary operation. I'll let you know how it all goes afterwards

• Ouagamaman
    Ouagamaman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    It's good to hear from someone else going through a similar procedure. Are Connor's hips completely dislocated? Where will he be having the surgery? My son experiences more pain when he is sitting than when he is actively moving around the floor.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.