My neighbour is vulnerable and I don't know what to do — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My neighbour is vulnerable and I don't know what to do

Options
ElizabethAnna20
ElizabethAnna20 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi there

Background: I'm a long hours worker, living with my sister who also works long hours. She bought this small terraced house in spring 2014.

Our neighbour, who I'd guess is about 50, has mild to moderate learning disabilities and lives by himself. Today, to cut a very long and bizarre story short, I realised this evening the guy has not had electricity for months, and most likely no heating either. He is clearly scared of my sister and I (honestly I don't know what we did), and the neighbours are useless, so I really do not know what to do.

Can someone please tell me who I can contact, and what to say? I have no idea what to do, I don't think it can be explained in an email and I don't think this guy has family. I don't want to go behind his back.

Please can someone tell me what I need to do without offending this chap!

Thank you so much for reading.

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi ElizabethAnna20,

If you are worried about your neighbour and feel that he might be at risk then the best people to speak to are the adult safeguarding team at your local authority. They will usually have a direct number and this should be listed on their website. If you say that you are worried about a neighbour and that they are vulnerable and maybe at risk then the local authority should follow this up and investigate.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.

Scope Helpline

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.