Hi, my name is rachelcl! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is rachelcl!

rachelcl
rachelcl Community member Posts: 30 Connected
edited February 2015 in Start here and say hello!
I'm a 41-year-old stand-up comedian and writer who has had right-sided hemiplegia since birth. I find that people are so bloomin' ignorant and nasty about disabled folk who don't use wheelchairs. I've had people who know nothing about my medical history tell me that I've got nowt wrong with my right leg, and people telling me that I shouldn't be living an independent life, as well as people accusing me of being a disability hate criminal just for walking.

Comments

• jamesmadill
    jamesmadill Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had people treat you that way @jamesmadill. It looks as though @rachelcl's post is from a few years back, but I'm sure other people will be able to relate to your experience. 

We recently spoke about some research Scope did into attitudes towards disabled people. Perhaps you could take a look and let us know what you think? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Semrete
    Semrete Scope Member Posts: 14 Connected
    I am very sorry to hear about your problems my friend..... The So Called Human Race is So Cruel & Insensitive..... I get a Lot of Abuse at work from my fellow workers and my new Manager too...
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that @semrete :( Have you made a complaint about your colleagues and manager? ACAS have some information about that.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Semrete
    Thank you for your kind reply @Tori... I really appreciate it.... My new Manager and my colleagues all go out for a Smoke & Vape Several Times a day and talk... they all stick together and the Manager supports them all... I don't smoke or vape, so I get treated as an outsider... I am Really Sick to death of having to constantly prove to my Prejudiced Manager of my Disabilities even though I have already been intervied by a Occupational Health Nurse and she knows it yet she keeps making Negative & Nasty Comments.... It HURTS.... and it's hard to prove what they do to me collectively.... I PRAY that the Lord will help me... get away from this Injustice & Discrimination..... :'(
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds really difficult that you are treated as an outsider @Semrete. You deserve to be treated much better than an outsider. 

How did you find the support of the occupational health nurse? We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Semrete
    edited November 2022
    Thank You.... @L_Volunteer I appreciate your kind message very much.... In the last 7 years I have dedicated my life to my company that I actually LOVE very much... I REALLY LOVE MY JOB VERY MUCH too and have worked for thousands of hours for them even though I am only contracted to work 16 hours a week for them and they have also CHEATED me of Overdue Holiday Pay of a Few Thousand Pounds for working all those EXTRA HOURS..... I only found out Last Year when another Manager from another shop rang me and told me that she is paying me for the extra hours I had worked in one of the previous years.... I understand they have since SACKED HER unfortunately.... 

The Occupational Health Nurse was EXCELLENT.... it is only this New Manager who is now ABUSING HER MANAGEMENT POWER and being DISCRIMINATORY against me.... BUT she FORGETS about GOD & KARMA...

One Great Song Especially Dedicated to all those people who treat others like DIRT.... PLEASE... Don't Do it.....   Wet Willie ~ Everything That 'Cha Do (Will Come Back To You)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfDKHzReCI

and that it all comes back sooner or later.... I wish PEOPLE were all JUST NICE to each other.... it would be a BEAUTIFUL WORLD.... Such a CRUEL WORLD we are FORCED to Live in.... GOD HELP US ALL...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.