Joystick mount — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joystick mount

seauser
seauser Community member Posts: 3 Listener
HI all, looking for suggestions on a joystick. Currently whenever the wheelchair gets close to a table the joystick gets in the way preventing the wheelchair from getting up close to the table. I have had a look at swingaway retractable joystick mounts but had no luck. The wheelchair is a an enigma with a VSI joystick which fits into a square bracket. Thanks!

Comments

• Katherine Hayward
    Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
    edited March 2015
    swing away joystick mounts are useful for getting up close to tables. just a suggestion, but have you thought about maybe altering the size / shape of the joystick control? replacing the covering on the top of the joystick with for example, a small ball shape or something with a smaller area like a bar shape or a circle so you can get in closer under the table? maybe there's something you could do other than a joystick-related thing. How high is your cushion? I also encounter problems when getting under tables. I have a high jay3 cushion (9.5 cm) which is better for me than a low one, but low seat cushions might be easier for getting under tables, the other things is, what footrests do you have? I'm asking because for example I find swing away ones bulky and they bump into the table and I'm never as far under the table as I should be. maybe change the angle/. height of your footrest?
    Could you get a swing away joystick as a special order for your chair? try contacting the manufacturers
    This is for a different chair (Quickie Samba) but you could try it out.it says it fits a square bracket. I just googled "VSI wheelchair control, square bracket" if you want to search more.
    Good luck!

http://epc-wheelchairs.co.uk/products/1669/sunrise-medical-quickie-vsi-swing-away-joystick-mount.htm

• seauser
    seauser Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Great, thanks for the helpful advice Katherine - that is useful to know! Funnily enough, the link you kindly sent is one we tried! Unfortunately it still protruded quite a way out and didn't quite fit the bracket but otherwise would have been perfect. I really appreciate your feedback! All the best

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.