Have you watched "The best of Men" ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you watched "The best of Men" ?

Noah
Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
edited February 2015 in Cerebral palsy
If you haven't seen it, you should, it is a very inspirational drama, entertaining, and thought provoking.

Comments

• Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited January 2016
    Have just come across your post on this. And I can't think of an inspirational quote to add to your current post. So I am answering this one instead :) I loved this drama on Mandeville really special.

I found the French film The Intouchables also really inspirational Have you seen this?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    It was based on two books - "a second wind" (disabled persons perspective)

And the book "you changed my life" (carers perspective)
  • Noah
    Yes I agree it is really special drama with a strong message, I love watching it.

Not seen the Intouchables, thanks for the recommendation I will make sure I watch it - Looks like a good film.

1 week to go before I get my Lyrica splints, insoles and ankle braces to try, I'm very excited at the prospect. How long did it take you to get used to the Lyrica Splints?

Noah
  • Stayce
    edited January 2016
    Yes Intouchables (the untouchables English DVD edition) is well worth it. If you like the Paralympics as I do - Murderball (documentary based on wheelchair Rugby team) well worth a watch too
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436613/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

My other favourite inspirational films with a disability focus are the more obvious. Danial Day Lewis in My Left Foot and Eddie Redmaine in the Theory of Everything

Getting used to the lycra splints was really quick for me I was in them full time in a week. They will advise you to wear for 1 hour first day, 2 hours second day, 4 hours the third day and 8 hours fourth day then all day everyday from there on in. It really is important to stick to that (if you can) as it makes the transition much easier and quicker. They feel really good - so don't be tempted to sleep in them because if you do it can reduce their effectiveness in the day for you, so a serious no-no. I had a few minor adjustments to my design made after a month of wearing to improve things, so do ask for a follow up appointment close to that sort of time span. I was then able to get a night splint made after that (before introduction of lycra splints I could not tolerate a night splint at all) So bear in mind that you may be able to further improve things as your muscle tone may be under better control as a consequence of wearing lycra splints for just a month :)

Let me know how you get on with them, would be interested in your experiences and thoughts on them.

Best wishes

Stayce
  • Noah
    Thanks for more inspirational film tips. I will definitely watch them.

Encouraging to hear it only took you a week to get used to lycra splints. Don't worry, I will be persevering, sticking to the instructions and ensuring I get a follow up appointment.

I fully understand with any new orthotics, the advantages are not always felt straight away and some fine adjustments maybe required. JAB has already made it clear that the new setup will challenge me, and it can take 8 weeks to get used to them.

I'm very determined to make them work, and hopefully long term they will allow me to achieve more.

Hope you have a good weekend,

Thanks again

Noah
  • Stayce
    edited January 2016
    Happy to help. If you think of any further questions before your appointment just message. I have struggled with majority of insoles, never been able to tolerate ankle braces or AFO pain just unbearable and never letting up, but something just seemed to click with the lycra splints like nothing before for me.

Good luck with your appointment in a week's time. Have a lovely weekend

Best wishes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.