Living with hearing partners who deal with things on your behalf — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living with hearing partners who deal with things on your behalf

Options
EMMAJC1981
EMMAJC1981 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi I am profoundly deaf, my first language is BSL (british sign language).  I live with my hearing partner who has a level 2 in BSL. We both work full time and dont get tax credits. I receive middle rate DLA.

He always helps me with taking and making calls on my behalf, he acts as my communication support worker when I attend my doctor and dentist's appointments or bank for advice. Obviously he doesn't mind helping me cos we are in a relationship and he is doing it out of love but there is people receiving carer's allowance to look after their relatives/family memebers but what about hearing partners living with disabled/deaf people?? shouldn't they receive a kind of benefit or allowance like carer's allowance for their time and support??

Comments

• janine123
    janine123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Emma

DLA is awarded to help with the additional costs of living with a disability and unfortunately there are no other benefits that your partner may claim other than Carer's Allowance. As he is working full time his earnings will almost certainly exceed the permitted earnings allowance of £102.00 per week.  
    Sorry not to be able to give more positive news.
    Best wishes
    Janine

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.