Is pressure mapping (pressure imaging ) recommended for adults with CP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is pressure mapping (pressure imaging ) recommended for adults with CP?

Options
Katherine Hayward
Katherine Hayward Community member Posts: 74 Listener
I am 33 years old and have spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy with hydrocephalus and a VP shunt. I have heard of pressure mapping for wheelchair users (children) with CP but don't know if it's suitable for adults, or what the test involves .
It was suggested to me on another forum (by a person with a spinal injury) that I should try and get an appointment for this as I have had, and am still having, problems choosing the right wheelchair seating.
I'm in the chair all day and have pain and redness in my pressure points (heels, cocyx back and neck) I also can't feel pain in some areas of my body and I can't change position within my wheelchair independently. This was confirmed by various physiotherapists over the years. Is there evidence that pressure mapping (pressure imaging) can help adults with CP? I have googled it, but can't find helpful information that's relevant to people from the UK. I'm hoping that if I do have pressure mapping, it'll help me find seating that's better for me, and get properly assessed regarding my pressure points, although I've been told I'm high risk because of the time I'm in the chair.
Where are pressure mapping services in Oxford and Reading? Is the test invasive? Would it have any bad effects on my shunt? my shunt is not programmable.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.