Squint Correction Surgery — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Squint Correction Surgery

David8
David8 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi everyone,
I am due to be having squint correction surgery soon. Before I go ahead with it I was wondering if anyone here has any information or advice about it. I know it's only cosmetic, but does it work well for people with CP?
Any information from people here would be great.

David

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi David,

I've had a chat with the team here at the helpline but as squints are not a common occurrence (although they do happen) with CP we don't have any specific expertise in this area. I'm hoping someone else on the forum can share their experience with you. Although don't forget that if you have questions about the surgery you can always speak to your Ophthalmologists.

Scope helpline
  • David8
    David8 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me. I have a hospital appointment tomorrow so I'll definately make sure I ask all the questions I have.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited April 2015
    Hi David,

I've had squint correction surgery twice - at 18 mouths and 24 years and I have CP - My advice would be to explore every possible option that is as least invasive as possible.

Things that can be done to help correct/manage a squint are:

Patching
    Botox injections
    Glasses with prisms
    Eye exercises
    Coloured layers to reduce visual stress
    Large print and correct spacing
    Larger glasses
    Flatter/thiner lenses
    Hand eye coordination practice 

Eye muscles are extremely delicate, surgeons can adjust the muscles to some extent but it is far from and exact science, it leaves a scare and can give you a red eye that never really goes away - squint surgery can not change the wiring in the brain that is normally set by about 18 months old.

After an operation where I woke up with double vision, and had to learn to smile again, with my eye movement and cosmetics being servely compromised due to the surgeon under estimating scare tissue from my previous operation  - Nearly 10 years on and many trips to Moorfields I've learnt to live with, and accept the sqint, Thankfully it is now not as noticeable. Moorfields have been absolutely amazing, I personally would never trust my eye treatment to any other hospital ever again. 

Talking over all the possible options with your ophthalmologist is the best idea, ask about botox injections, as they are not permanent and wear off after about 3 months, it can give you and the your consultant very valuable information on how your eyes/ and brain might respond to a possible surgical procedure. 

You need to think very carefully about what you are trying to achieve, and try and pick options if possible that can be reversed.

We talk with our eyes, and they are so important, if they look right, and feel right, we have confidence to present ourselves well.

A book that I found extremely helpful was "A singular view, the art of seeing with one eye" by Frank B. Brady. 

All the very best with your decision, feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best.

Noah
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    Hi,

I have CP and have had 4 lots of squint surgery. I'm fairly happy with the outcome now. The only other option would be Botox, which would give you temporary correction. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.