Hi, my name is J28! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is J28!

J28
J28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2015 in Start here and say hello!
Hi Im a mother of two. I was born brain damaged and suffer with social phobia depression and anxiety and trying to get tested for autism. I joined this group because My job centre is making volunteer at a scope charity shop as im on ESA and DLA if I dont they said they would stop My ESA trouble is I cant talk to people to look at people in the eye or go out of my local town by myself and there putting me in a shop. Im so so so so so so scared of meeting the people knowing what jobs they want me to do the surroundings etc.

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Hi J28,

Welcome to the Scope online community!

If you're worried about volunteering then just have a chat with the shop manager, I'm sure they will be happy to discuss building up your confidence before they put you out on the shop floor. Also if you've got any specific benefits questions then don't forget to post on the benefits board (https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances).

Vicky xx   
  • J28
    J28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Thought I would update I'm In My third week at scope I do 4 hours once a week on Tuesdays. I still get anxious but starting to find My feet and am able to be more open and talk to the staff Im starting to feel more confident and get used to go there once a week and its nice to be me for the four hours and not just a mummy. The staff are pretty freindly and ive been very open about my problems and and explained I can be very quiet etc. so at the moment its going okay although after fours hours im in extreme pain with my legs and suffer all through the night with the pain as when i was baby i couldnt walk til i was five so if i do too much i would get cramp but since having children its contant pain the doctors were dicussing lupus but at the mo just been placed on vitamin d tablets so no where near getting answers so i just push through the pain.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi J28,

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on. I'm glad to hear that you're finding your feet and you're enjoying some 'me' time.
    I'm sorry that you're experiencing pain in your legs after your shifts. I hope that this eases with time but of course if it becomes too much talk to your Manager and see if you are able to take an extra break or split your shift into something more manageable.
    As VickyS said in her earlier post, if you need some benefits advice do get in touch either on the benefits and finance page or you can email or call us at the helpline.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.