Hi, my name is LolaOlson! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is LolaOlson!

LolaOlson
LolaOlson Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2015 in Start here and say hello!
I am Scope's interim Digital Content Manager. I have a rare condition known as Septo-Optic Dysplasia, Panhypopituitiarism and blindness in my left eye. I'm also on the autistic spectrum. I have GAD as well.

Comments

• Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Lola thank you for your recent comment on my post on Life/Happiness. So sorry about my delay in replying, for over a month now. Your comments were very much appreciated.

The point where you mentioned about having goals and faith was interesting to myself. On the point of goals, I found a comment which I liked that I would like to share with you, "Its easy to get discouraged if you don't have anything to focus on or look forward to. But when you set and reach goals, you feel good about yourself."

When it comes to happiness, aside from when we experience moments of happiness in life, what I like to focus on that gives purpose to my life is my faith in Gods original purpose as reflected in the Bible. I hope that you will allow me to quote two scriptures one at John 17:3 'This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent Jesus Christ.' the second is Revelation 21:3,4 'With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.' How does that sound to you?

Kind regards,

Merlin
  • LolaOlson
    Well, I'm not a Christian so I don't necessarily find very much confidence in the Bible.

In terms of how I feel personally, I don't know as that my purpose could ever be explained to me in a way I would understand. What faith I have is just a feeling I have, rather than something that is very concrete. I sort of try to avoid putting a name or names on what we would call a "God" because I think it makes it too simplistic for me. Instead I try to focus on my blood and spirit ancestors and how they inspire me. It might not make a lot of sense to everyone else, but it works for me.
  • Merl
    edited June 2015
    Dear LolaOlsen

I was away for a few days and am now able to make a reply to your comment.

I do not think that it is necessary to be a Christian in order to put confidence in the Bible. If one is searching for answers to the purpose of life in one way or another, aside from the many books on that subject, I believe, through my own experience, that the Bible, a little thought after book, had satisfying answers for me personally, when I looked into it, aside from explaining that God has a name, it stated who is behind the wickedness in the world. What happens when we die. I also came to the knowledge that my life had a purpose, that I have the opportunity to be a citizen under a Government and a new system of things, which will fully satisfy my desires, and not partially, as I know it to be today.

There is a video entitled 'How Can We Be Sure the Bible is True?' which can be viewed on the JW.ORG website which might be of interest.

Sorry about my new post subject. I hope that it has not confused you. My discussion with yourself is still based on my previous post subject of Life/Happiness, which I hope I will be able to continue to discuss with yourself.

Kind regards

Merlin

• LolaOlson
    Thanks but I'm a Pagan. I don't have any interest in the Bible.
  • Merl
    Dear LolaOlsen

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards
    Merlin

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.