Hi, my name is rayme! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is rayme!

Options
rayme
rayme Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2015 in Start here and say hello!
Hiya my name is rayme and I have daughter who has cerebral palsy mild and she will be three next month I'm just wondering can I speak to people who have this condition and what they are like as adults she does not walk yet or talk but she is bum shuffering and doing lots of physio please someone write back

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Rayme
    Cerebral palsy is a very diverse condition and so people can be affected differently, and it can sometimes be difficult to say how a child of this age will be as an adult as she is still developing, but it's great that your daughter is having lots of physio as this is one of the main therapies for cp to assist with mobility. Possibly she may be referred to a speech and language therapist also in the future.
    Hopefully you will get some replies from adults with cp, but in the meantime you can also call the Scope Helpline and have a chat about your daughter on 0808 800 3333 (mon-fri, 9am-5pm).

best wishes
    Scope Helpline
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Rayme,

Welcome to the forum,

My advice would be to keep encouraging your daughter, and don't give up trying to teach her to walk. It can be done with a huge amount of determination, patience and support. The human body and brain are very clever and even with the damage of the CP it can be retrained. Don't give up, the rewards of your efforts will be huge.

There are so many positive life experiences of people with CP, some can be found on the following link https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/27480/positivity-thread

Its not uncommon for people with CP to reach mile stones late.

Have you considered swimming? With the water there to support the body it is sometimes easier to move in water.

Also have you experimented with how she responds to music?

All the very best

Noah

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.