mobilty aids — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mobilty aids

Options
placey
placey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Mother aged 93 gets about OK with standard tri-walker. Pavements and tracks in home town are in poor condition with many pot-holes. I am considering buying on-line a "Veloped Sport" from Sweden due more robust and with so called climbing ability. Mother short (5 ft) but still manages 2/3 miles a day. Anyone any experience of the veloped? It seems heavier than basic tri-walker but do larger wheels and smoother ride compensate? Not intended for use at home but for shopping and outdoor walks on less than perfect road/track surfaces

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

I have never seen a 'veloped sport' in the flesh but from their website they do appear to be considerably bigger and heavier than a typical tri-walker. Bigger wheels are better at coping with rough surfaces than smaller wheelers but the 'veloped' does appear to be a fairly large item for someone 5ft tall to use. It looks like the 'veloped' gains some of the additional stability needed for off-road walking by having it's three wheels further apart from each other than a typical tri-walker, hence it is a bigger bit of kit to try to manoeuvre about. Maybe another solution to giving your mother increased confidence when she walks over rough ground would be to swap her tri-walker for a rollator designed rugged outdoor use, such as: http://www.cosyfeet.com/topro-olympos-rollator#.VaUow0pwb5o
    4 wheels offer more stability than three wheels but whenever possible it is best not to buy equipment without first having it's suitability assessed by an Occupational Therapist. I realise that it is a while since you posted your query did you find a solution for your Mother?
    Best Wishes

Jean M

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.