Coughing and (sorry) mucus in the chest — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coughing and (sorry) mucus in the chest

americanabroad
americanabroad Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
edited June 2015 in Cerebral palsy
Hi! My son is nearly three and has been diagnosed with SD CP but he definitely has stiffness in his arms and hands as well. We've noticed that lately he has been coughing and almost retching frequently and we can hear the rattling of mucus in his chest. He has no other symptoms and is generally in good health -- we've only started to notice this over the past 3-6 months. We're wondering if anyone has any experience of this kind of thing being linked to CP, or if it could be something that has developed as a result of CP? We know that CP isn't generally degenerative but...? Does anyone know if it is likely to be manageable or to have more serious consequences? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited June 2015
    Hi Americanboard, I have spastic diplegia cp and asthma which does cause me some breathing difficulties, and can be worse during certain seasons. Not really considered before that the asthma and CP linked. It's probably advisable to get your son checked out by a medical professional so they can proscribe any necessary treatment. I'm sure like so many people with cp, your son, with the right support will go on to achieve remarkable things in his life. Adversity/challenges in life - make very determined and interesting people.
  • americanabroad
    americanabroad Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Hi Noah, thank you so much for your help and your supportive comment! It meant a lot to us :). We're going to take our son into the GP this week. Thanks again!
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Your welcome, that's what we are here for :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.