Feeling safe — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling safe

Confused
Confused Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
After spending two and a half years living in hotel accommodation I was finally rehoused last October. I was pressured into excepting a second floor flat by social services. The housing association is called Genesis. I have to rely on my partner to open one massive iron gate and another door to access the lifts. The roots to the lift close very quickly so my mobility scooter or myself gets bashed when the doors close. Stuart the manager said the timings would be changed but to date nothing has been done. The lifts however have broken down and I have been stuck indoors. On one occasion for two days. I've asked what would happen if I'm out and the lifts don't work what would happen? But Genesis have failed to respond. In case of a fire there are no evacuation chairs to assist disabled people down the stairs Genesis say wait for the fire brigade, they have refused to put the evacuation chairs in place. They also refuse to provide storage for mobility scooters so I'm forced to keep it in the flat which has caused damage and blocks access. Its a class 3 vehicle and can be stored in the private car park but stuart refuses. The car park has space for over 300 bikes, spaces for electric cars but nothing for mobility scooters even though they provide adapted flats. I'm shocked at the way Genesis have responded to my requests. I even had to move into the flat before a wet room was built, that took 4 months. Does the council or housing associations actually care about disabled peoples safety or well being?

Comments

• hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Hi I just came across your post.
    I hope your keeping well?
    Genesis  ha are  the worst   LL they treat people with other contempt 
    Employ incompetent staff  they only care about money .
    Have you contacted the equality advisory  service 
    Or a socilotor 

Could I ask what area of the country are you in 
    Contact detailsEquality Advisory Support Service (EASS)
    FREEPOST 
    Equality Advisory Support Service 
    FPN4431Telephone: 0808 800 0082
    Textphone: 0808 800 0084
    Monday to Friday, 9am to . EASS can sometimes arrange extra help so that people with learning disabilities or mental health problems can use the helpline and understand the advice. If you need extra help, ask the EASS adviser.Calls are free from landlines and mobiles check with provider first.Good luck Also you could try your local law center or disiblity law service.co.uk   

• Tarbatness
    Tarbatness Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi Confused,
    Contact your MP, give all the facts, that`s what they`re there for !

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.