Hi, my name is Kierang! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Kierang!

Kierang
Kierang Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My name is Kieran Gibbons I have cerebral palsy diplegia I decided to join to get advice and help on setting up my own business and to help promote my work and production company cerebral films. I also joined to meet and talk to some new people. Its nice to talk to people who have a better understanding and who i can relate to.

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited July 2015
    Welcome, and great to have you on board. Yes you are right it very nice to be able to talk to people that share a better understanding of CP. Well done taking the plunge and setting up your own business, something that I want to do to, just sometimes lack the confidence to just do it.

What stage are you at with setting up your business?

Have you looked into to see if access to work can help with funding for any aids that might be required to enable you to work?

Look forward to reading about how you get on with your plans.

All the very best

Noah
  • Kierang
    Kierang Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hello Noah nice to meet you sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Thanks for encouraging me for setting up my own business its very refreshing and feels me with more confidence and hope. If you want to setup your own business i think you should just go for it don't worry if you don't feel confident, as my confidence is quite low. Instead focus on why you are setting up the business and what you want to achieve by doing so. I'm kind of at the middle stage i setup and registered with a good friend of mine we were going to do the business to together but he has since realised he only wanted to do it as i side project so we have parted ways and i will continue to do the business by myself. I have to sort out the stock transfers and get one of my cameras back first though. I have my own website and some fairly decent equipment but i need to get some more equipment like tripod and microphones. I am also hoping to get some really good equipment but i need about £7000-£8000 so I'm currently looking for funding I was going to go down the loans route when i heard how hard grants were to get and how long they took but many people advised me against loans. I have my website setup and I'm a member of the south east chambers of commerce. I am now looking for my first few clients so I can build my portfolio of work and secure future and long term clients. So still a lot of work to go but I'm half way there or the middle stage. The dream is in the future to employ other disabled people who want to work in the film and tv industry but have struggled to find a way in. I want to go from 1% of disabled people working in the industry to 18% representing the amount of disabled people in the uk population. I also want to make films that help people and community and have a good impact, I want my films to be a catalyse for change. Very idealistic I know but thats the dream. You can see some of the work I've done on my website www.cerebralfilms.co.uk a lot of the work there I have done at university but I'm beginning to do some of my own side projects. I haven't looked into access to work as I'm not sure I would qualify as I can walk un aided. A lot of the equipment I'm looking for is not disability specific but rather equipment to make films and video content and i don't think access to work cover that. I am also currently a form time students at ravensbourne so not sure if I'm illegible.

Kind regards and best wishes Kieran

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.