Vocalisations — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vocalisations

Blue Frog
Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
My little girl is really happy and chilled, and she loves making sounds.

One of her favourite sounds can only really be described as a roar!

When we are out, she is happy roaring away in her buggy, and people keep saying things like 'oh dear, someone's not happy today'

I know they are trying to be nice, but apart from roaring too, I am not sure how to keep answering them!!

Comments

• Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Hey I see this is a problem, growing up with cp its been an ongoing question, its very annoying sometimes when people look or comment but its human nature to inquire about what's not the norm, the question is do we try & aspire to be the 'norm' or just think that's pandering. I think there's a happy medium, I'm not sure what your daughters speech is like but its good she's experimenting with sound but perhaps you could encourage calmer noises, simple tunes or nursery rhymes singing or just for her to listen to sometimes helps, this may drive you mad of course! Take care :-)
  • htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Hi there Blue Frog :-) thanks for your comment. I can imagine it can be frustrating. Unfortunately I think a lot of the time people say things without thinking and it can be a real annoyance (it's happened to me with regards to equipment I use at home and out in the world and it really annoyed me!) If you feel like it you could maybe explain that isn't the case at all. Of course, no one has any right to assume they ought to know everything about your daughter's condition but it might help you to set them straight perhaps? It's a difficult one, though. I've been questioned about using a stick and wearing a splint and most of the time I try to answer as politely as possible. Of course, sometimes I really don't want to say anything at all and you have the right to react as you choose :-) I think it's fantastic that your daughter is experimenting with sounds like that! Especially if it makes her happy :-)
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Thanks htlcy. It really helps being able to chat with people who have disabilities to get their perspective on things, and the main thing is my little girl is happy! She is making brilliant progress at the moment and has started making a lovely little 'oidy doidy' noise which I absolutely love!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the educational PSYCHOLOGIST came to see her a few weeks ago, and my little girl roared at her to say hello - and the psychologist replied 'oh dear, she doesn't sound very happy!'
  • Daniellesducks
    Daniellesducks Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    "She's being a happy lion" big smile walk away
    I have said the same " some one not happy" but normally after a look on their face I can see I'm wrong. Most people can't so be patient and in your head pat them on the head

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.