Recent Operation advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recent Operation advice

SANDELS1
SANDELS1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Lewis has had an operation on the 9th July, he had both a femoral osteotomy (breaking of the hip bone and realigned to be straight) on both hips and his achilles cut and stretched so his right foot goes to 90 degrees. He is now out of the cast and has had a week back in hospital for intense physiotherapy and hydrotherapy. He has done extremely well and physio was happy enough for him to go back to school in his wheel chair and on his K-walker to use in the classroom.
I have been advised by the physio's to keep up with his excursuses when he gets home and she will go into the school. However lewis has been very stubborn and was wondering if any of your children have had the same operation and if they are too reluctant to do the exercises? Lewis has been screaming, shouting and being very rude with both the physiotherapists and the teachers whilst getting him to do the exercises in school. Then at home he cries when I try to do anything strenuous with him and just doesn't want to do anything. I know he isn't in any pain and I know it is a mental battle with him. I need advise on how to approach his behaviour with the physio's and the school as the teachers have had words with me and him over the behaviour. I don't know what to do with him and getting at my whits end as told him lots of times not to lash out or shout. What do i do? Any suggestions or ideas would be most helpful.

Comments

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    I don't really have any advice but wanted to say hi - my son had femoral osteotomies on both sides when he was eight and getting him going again was ... well, let's just say very difficult! He has profound/multiple learning disabilities and complex needs and has never cooperated with physio, but doesn't have the understanding to argue really. He's now 14 and on his feet (touch wood) but it took over a year once he was out of cast to get him to the level of mobility he had before the op.
    Lucas
  • barbforshee
    barbforshee Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello I understand the difficulties you are going through. My son has CP and has had to have his tendons cut on numerous occasions. He never really liked doing his stretches either. He was much smaller and I would give him something else to do with his hands and his mind while I worked on streching his tendons. He would play with his gameboy or something like that. It made this time more relaxing for him and less stressful for me. I got more range of motion out of him with him relaxed then with him tense. It also helps to let them take a shower or a bath before you do this they are more relaxed. Does he take a muscle relaxant? This would be a good time to give it also. Relaxing him is the key to getting his cooperation. Now at school if they could do something to keep his mind occupied while they are doing this it would go along way in getting his cooporation. I've never had trouble with my son going to any therapist because I've always told him he gets to go PLAY with Ms or Mr SoandSo. This made it all sound like fun. You have to make something sound worthwhile to a kid or he'll hate it every time. This child has been through something traumatic. He's body is still suffering from the shock of it. He is reminded of it everytime he has therapy. I know he is probably playing it up a bit but you didn't go through this he did and he is trying to let you know that every time he pitches a fit. Give him a little slack. Treat him special every now and then. Show him you appreciate what he is going through and he will cooperate better.
    Barb.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.