Hi, my name is Clairesian! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Clairesian!

Clairesian
Clairesian Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Single mum with 7 year old daughter diagnosed with lissencephaly- seizures, global delay, partially sighted

Comments

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Hi Claire, welcome to the Scope community. Sounds like you're dealing with a lot at the moment, how are you doing? Do you have any support from extended family or your daughters dad at all?
    Lucas
  • Clairesian
    Clairesian Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks Lucas,
    Yes I'm very lucky, I have my mum close by and her dad has her every other weekend. I've always struggled to find respite/childcare for her, especially during the school holidays when I worked, so much so, I changed to term time only, she isn't especially difficult to care for (mobile, some language, friendly happy girl) it's the small community in which we live in I think,
  • abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Childcare for children with additional needs is a bit of a nightmare, but sounds like you're doing really well. Have you had a carers assessment from your local council? Particularly as you're juggling being a single parent as well as working, you need to make sure you get a proper break for yourself sometimes! Might be worth a phonecall to see what they say. My son is mostly friendly and happy too - makes life so much easier as he's nice to have around, you know? Anyway, sure to cross paths again soon, you'll find all sorts of bits of useful info around here!
    Lucas

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.