Morning routine — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Morning routine

YoungCarerOverHere
YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
My brother, aged 12, has autism and ADHD. He really struggles to wake up and get dressed ready for school. This adds tension and pressure to the morning routine despite me trying to wake him up early to give him more time. He has an alarm, but he doesn't wake up! Once I've woken him up it takes him approx. 1 hour-1 hour and 30 mins to get into his uniform. This means he is late for breakfast and doesn't eat much.

Any tips on how to help him organise himself?

Thanks

Comments

• GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi,
    thank you for your message.

You can try using a visual schedule and timers so that he can see clearly what is happening next and what is expected of him. You can create a visual sequence using laminated pictures/symbols/photos (depending on his level of understanding and the best way to communicate with him) or you could even use an app on the iPad (some kids have exceptional skills using the iPad!).

Many kids with autism are visual learners and these strategies work very well.

If you want to try the simple visual sequence, you can find different schedules and printable cards online. Just print them, laminate (if possible) and use velcro to create the schedule. For example, use symbols for toilet, shower, t-shirt, pants, socks, breakfast, etc. You can use a timer at the same time (e.g. egg timer) to help him keep track of the time. If he can tell the time then you could also use the clock.

Make sure you end the routine with something he likes - maybe favourite food for breakfast. It is also very important to be consistent and use it every day to see if it works or not.

Let us know how it goes!
  • Emma
    Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
  • Michelle Egan
    Michelle Egan Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    I know I have same problem with my child in the morning but he's totally blind as well n development delayed he's so angry in the morning very aggressive and repetitive
  • Madmomz7
    Madmomz7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Have the same problem here with my 20 year old, he was dx with aspergers last week (finally!!) and been going through this for 11 years now, no one knew how to help him and still no answers. It can take anything between 2-9+ hours each day to get him up, he can't see past why he needs to get up in the morning even if it's something he wants to go to.
    It's been affecting the rest of the family for so long (mostly ASD siblings that they too are becoming challenging to get up in mornings too)!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.