App: Be my eyes - any experiences? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

App: Be my eyes - any experiences?

jubejube
jubejube Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited August 2016 in Sensory impairments
I recently found this app and I think it's just such a cool idea. Has anyone heard of it / experiences to share? It's called Be My Eyes: http://www.bemyeyes.org/

The idea is that:
A blind person requests assistance in the Be My Eyes app. The challenge that he/she needs help with can be anything from knowing the expiry date on the milk to navigating new surroundings.
and then...
The volunteer helper receives a notification for help and a live video connection is established. From the live video the volunteer can help the blind person by answering the question they need answered.

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    A great idea - not sure if I would be completly comfortable with having video calls with total strangers. Yet the concept is great, embracing video call technology, could be a great way of enabling visually impaired individuals to have greater independence.

Thanks for the post

Noah
  • jubejube
    Yeah I had a similar feeling when I first read about it, but ultimately I trust people when I look at TripAdvisor or AirBnB recommendations, I trust total strangers that I ask for the way when I'm in a foreign country - so why stop there? ;)

Have a nice day :)
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    I just feel inviting total strangers into your personal home or space by means of a live video call carry's a high degree of risk. I would be most interested tho to try out the service to see what measures are in place to protect ithe users privacy. It clearly is a great idea that may help people with sight issuers have greater independence. I plan to research further.

Thanks again for sharing

Noah
  • jubejube
    Yeah, I see what you mean, and of course there will always be some black sheep... Unfortunately, I don't have personal experiences to share with you, but let me know what you find out!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.